Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review: The Truth About Mr. Darcy by Susan Adriani

The Truth about Mr. Darcy 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN:
Pages: 
448 pgs
Genre: Jane Austen Adaptation/Pride and Prejudice
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge

Rating:

Buy this Book: Amazon, Powell's, Indiebound  



 Summary from publisher:

 In this hot tale, Mr. Darcy confesses the truth about George Wickham right from the start, warning Elizabeth and the rest of Meryton about Wickham's despicable character. Will his honesty change the way Elizabeth feels about him and his previous poor behavior? Will he still have to transform himself to win her love? And what will happen when scandal erupts?


My Review:  

Wickham is number 3 on my Bad Characters list right after Fanny Price and Holden Caulfield (don’t ask). He is the sneakiest of sneaky snakes. This book explored what might have happened if Wickham had been exposed by Darcy before Darcy’s failed first proposal. And I have to say I loved it.


This book starts out with Darcy having a naughty boy dream about Lizzy. That should have clued me into where this book was going. Darcy and Lizzy could, quite simply, not keep their hands off of each other. I love how Adriani brought the sexual compatibility of Lizzy and Darcy to the forefront in this one. I am more accustomed to reading sequels and adaptations that focus on their personality compatibility so this was a nice change. They gradually moved from attraction to a very deep and abiding love. I loved watching the progression. I also loved how Adriani handled the rest of the characters but she transformed two completely unlikeable characters, Lydia and Mr. Hurst, into likeable, even loveable, characters. Lydia was completely redeemed and, dare I say, intelligent and Mr. Hurst was a drunken voice of logic.

I am used to reading more tame Jane Austen sequels and adaptations because I find it much more difficult to find a well done more “adult” one. I loved this one. Some may have trouble with the fact that Darcy and Lizzy were intimate before marriage. It’s not scandalous or badly done at all—but with Lizzy and Darcy it’s a tad shocking. It’s done in such a tasteful way. It is clear that Darcy and Lizzy love each other passionately. I especially loved how Adriani took these classic characters out of their comfort zones and made them entirely new. I do, however, wish we had gotten a more concrete conclusion to Lady Catherine de Bourgh. I always like to see her either be completely redeemed or get her comeuppance.


This was one of the best adaptations I’ve read it quite a long time. I will most definitely pick up any and all adaptations by Susan Adriani.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Grace,

    My sincerest thanks for writing such a lovely review of The Truth About Mr. Darcy. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed my story so much! I'm also very pleased to hear that you liked of my versions of Lydia and Mr. Hurst. I truly enjoyed exploring and developing Lydia's possibilities, rather than dwelling on her failures. I'm very glad you approve!

    Thank you again, Grace, for a lovely review.

    Best,
    Susan Adriani

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio