Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Events (June 24th)

 

Important and utterly selfish! I need your advice on something---I have recently come into a $100 Amazon GC. I have run out of romance authors to buy and I am wanting to buy something sort of specific--

           -Recency romance
           -many books—can be individual books from different authors or just many from one author
          -the rakes are really rakish. Bordering on mean. Kind of like Never A Gentleman by Eileen Dreyer or Sinful and Addicted by Charlotte Feathersome.
        -I also like the really old-time romance novels from the 70’s and 80’s but that’s not a priority now…I’m just burning to spend the GC.

The authors I have already maxed out on during my last binge are: Mary Balogh, Stephanie Laurens, Lisa Kinsale, Rosemary Rogers, Kathleen Woodiwiss, Elaine Coffman, Lisa Kleypas, Johanna Lindsay, Jo Beverly, Laurie McBain, Mary Jo Putney Judith McNaught.

Book bloggers are the only people I trust to recommend books to me. I am at a book buying loss. I feel like an angel that has lost her wings.

Cupcake of the week: Smores, Crème Brûlée, Cotton Candy

Flavors I’ve been pondering-Fig and Vanilla Bean, Goat Cheese and Cranberry

Reviews posted this week:

  1. Next To Love by Ellen Feldman
  2. A Crowded Marriage by Catherine Alliott
  3. Hush by Cherry Adair
  4. With All My Might by Gabriella Van Rij
  5. Creed’s Honor by Linda Lael Miller
  6. Killer Stuff and Tons of Money by Maureen Stanton

This week's question is:    

Q. In light of the Summer Solstice. Also known as Midsummer...let's talk about fairies. What is your favorite fairy tale or story that revolves around the fae?

I’m going to talk Disney movies here because I’m afraid to admit that I haven’t read any actual fairy tales aside from a few Hans Christian Andersons. My favorite fairy tale (ie Disney movie aside from Newsies) has to be Beauty and the Beast. I don’t know why. I always thought that the Beast was the best hero out of all of them. It might also have been the start of my love of romance novels. I mean kind girl tames the heart of the gruff but broken hero. C’mon. It’s still awesome. But I do have to admit, he lost some of his charm when he got all pretty and blond at the end.

 

Book Blogger Hop
 
When did you realize reading was your passion and a truly important part of your life?

I always knew that I loved to read. My mother is a big bookworm—maybe even worse than me. We always had a dedicated hour or two in the day for reading and we took weekly trips to the local library. It started when I was a baby and, believe it or not, I still dedicate an hour or two everyday. Reading has always been a passion but, I think, it was really bashed into my head when I read Anne of Green Gables and Little Women for the first time—it was the first time I had ever been really absorbed by a book.

image

Summer Love: Where is your ideal place to take a summer vacation & get lost in a book?

I am not a fan of the warm weather at all. So I would stay away from the Caribbean or any place like that. I would probably veer towards cooler weather—maybe Canada or Northern England or Scotland. I really hate the heat and find it difficult to read when it’s hot. My ideal reading location on vacation would be in a nice air conditioned hotel or cottage with no interruptions.

17 comments:

  1. I love Beauty & the Beast too. It's such a great fairytale and my favorite from my childhood. I can't say much about historical novels, as I only got really into them recently. The author that I've been reading and loving her works recently is Eloisa James. But everyone knows about her. Haha I also read some good Mary Jo Putney books lately. Other than that, I've got a couple of historical romances to read soon (mostly from new authors).

    New follower here!

    Jennie
    My Cute Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jennie

    I actually don't have Eloisa James' books--but you just reminded me to put her on the shopping list. I think she wrote one based on Beauty and the Beast that some of my friends have liked.

    Thanks for stopping by and for your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower here.... Hurray for fellow Beauty and the Beast lover :) That was my far my fav Disney movie too!

    Diana @ The Lovely Getaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha we both picked Beauty and the Beast! (: I didn't like it that the beast became a handsome prince at the end, if he stayed as a beast it would have driven home the story's morals better.

    Old follower stopping by (:

    My FF

    Felicia @ A Novel Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, it seems like I wasn't following you. How can that be?!

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi,

    I love beauty and the beast, it's not my all time fav though
    Have a great weekend!
    Kyanara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always loved Beauty and the Beast!!

    Have you read any of Julia Quinn or Victoria Alexander's novels? Or Bertrice Small? They are all autobuys for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beauty and the Beast is some kind of awesome! As for your gift card, I am trying to remember what reviews you have done lately... Have you read 22 Britanna Road? I just finished it and it was wonderful - although not a romance.

    My answer:
    http://www.handsandhome.ca/2011/06/follow-friday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the GC.
    I recommend anything by Amanda Quick.
    Have a good weekend.
    ~Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  10. When did I first realize I loved reading? I wish I could prove a pre-natal predilection towards books but my memories don’t stretch back quite that far.

    The earliest memories I can recall involved books. First having them read to me then reading them on my own the minute I had the ability.

    Books have been a major part of my life ever since. My passion for the written word knowing no bounds, I started writing books on top of reading them about ten years ago.

    Want to know what my favorite childhood book was? Hop on over to my blog and find out: http://www.howardsherman.net

    Howard Sherman, Implementor
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. New follower from FF! My vote for your way to spend that gift card? Regency Romance! Nothing is better than all the rules you have to break! lol! You're blog is so organized and neat! Crazy! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi New follower here! Great blog! Hopping through! Enjoy your follow friday! :)
    Please follow me back on my blog:
    http://blabbing-books.blogspot.com/2011/06/follow-friday-4.html

    Keegan Shayne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there, I find your blog via Follow Friday, and I'm your latest follower!

    If you get a moment, head over to Teen Fiction Centre and have a look around!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Julia Quinn for straight up Historical Fiction. But, I highly recommend Karen Marie Moning's Highlander Series for something a little different. Start with Kiss of the Highlander.
    Stopping by via the Book Blogger Hop. I'm a new follower.
    Have a great weekend!
    Holjo @ Pedantic Phooka
    www.pedanticphooka.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beauty and the Beast seems to be quite a popular answer for this question. I love Beauty and the Beast I could watch it over and over again...I never tired of the tale or the music...love the music!! Hans Christian Anderson is also a good choice. Thumbelina is my very favorite tale of his. We are now following you through Follow Friday. You have a very beautiful blog by the way- I love your header!

    Cheers & Happy Writing,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hopping through. My fav Disney animated movie is Lion King, but Beauty and the Beast is right behind that.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Grace. I also love the story of Beauty and the Beast. :D So, good answer!

    I am follower 200!

    I love your blog title. I wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't reading, even if sometimes I go through spells where I read more or less.

    Please check out my blog when time allows. : )

    http://www.onceuponaprologue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio