Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Review: Awaken the Highland Warrior by Anita Clenney

Awaken the Highland WarriorPublisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402251238
Pages: 448 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Highlander
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb


Summary from publisher:
A man from another time...
Faelan is from an ancient clan of Scottish Highland warriors, charged with shielding humanity from demonic forces. Betrayed and locked in a time vault, he has been sleeping for nearly two centuries when spunky historian Bree Kirkland inadvertently wakes him. She's more fearsome than the demon trying to kill him, and if he's not careful, she'll uncover the secrets his clan has bled and died to protect...
Could be the treasure she's been seeking all her life...
When Bree inherits an old treasure map, she discovers a warrior buried in her backyard. But the warrior isn't dead. Bree shocks Faelan with her modern dress and her boldness, and he infuriates Bree every time he tries to protect her.
With demons suddenly on the move, Bree discovers that Faelan's duty as protector is in his blood, and that her part in this fight was destined before she was born. But nothing is ever what it seems...
My Review:
I had a bit of trouble finding this one. I have had the majority of my books in piles on the floor while I reorganize the chaotic quagmire that is my shelves. This one somehow got caught up in the piles along with another one that I will be reviewing tomorrow. Needless to say that when I found this book, I read it cover to cover and completely forgot about my organization attempts. 
Bree was a great heroine. She was kinda awesome. She was the one taking care of Faelan. He was out of his element and she was his only anchor. I also loved that she was a historian. I also really loved Faelan. Perhaps even more than I loved Bree. He was so out of his element but yet he so so tough and strong. He was that type of hero that needed to take care of his heroine…despite the fact that she clearly did not need him to take care of her. He was also quite funny. He was always either perplexed by some modern contraption or shoveling food into his mouth. He was the perfect mix of adorable and machismo. I loved the interaction between the self-sufficient modern woman and the protective, old-fashioned hero. It created an interesting dichotomy and led to very interesting interactions between the hero and the heroine.
I didn’t exactly know what I was getting myself into when I opened this book. I thought it was going to be a simple Highlander romance. But what I got was a mix of paranormal, adventure and, of course, historical romance—if you can count having a hero who happens to be ye olde as a historical romance.  I initially was a bit taken aback by the paranormal and adventure aspects but I really came to love those parts of the story. The demon storyline definitely kept me interested. This was one of the more unique plotlines that I have ever come across. This book was a mixed bag of all things great—romance, adventure, scary bad demons, humor and quirkiness. It was one of my favorite reading experiences of the summer in spite of the fact that I was sitting in the midst of my haphazard, disorganized book collection. 
Rating:
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio