Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Review: A Crowded Marriage by Catherine Alliott

A Crowded MarriagePublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN:  1402253192
Pages: 480 pages
Genre: Fiction/Humor
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound


Summary from publisher:
'Til death do us part jut might cause you to wring someone's neck...
Imogen Cameron can't quite figure out how she and her husband, Alex, have plummeted from living in their beloved London townhouse to scraping by in his exgirlfriend's guest cottage. But although the scenic pastures might inspire her flagging artistic career, and getting out of the city might do their son good, Imogen wonders if all the country air in the world could calm the crowds that are invading her marriage.
There's a gaggle of psychotic chickens, an infuriatingly bossy vet, that oh-so-sweet ex-girlfriend-and the feeling that her husband is preoccupied with more than just his job. International bestselling author Catherine Alliott delivers an "intelligent, acutely drawn picture of a difficult marriage" (Daily Telegraph), crafting a witty, sophisticated, and poignant exploration of relationships and family.
My Review:
This was another of those reviews that I had intended to have posted last week before my week went crazy. I also rewrote this review because I rambled in my last one. Like usual but rambling doesn’t sound quite so good at the third read through as it does the first and second.
Imogen was one of those characters that I didn’t know what to do with. On one hand, I felt sort of bad for her but on the other, I could not understand why she would put up with her husband’s way too close relationship with another woman. I’m not married but I know that if my boyfriend/husband had that close of a relationship with another woman, I would worry and I would not be happy about it. I also would not, even in the most dire of situations, move into that woman’s house or even a cottage on her property. I would sooner move into my childhood bedroom. I did think she was borderline hilarious at times and had this Bridget Jonesness about her that I really liked.
I was quite unsure with this one. I always find reading books about unraveling marriages to be quite the difficult task—because I knew this one couldn’t end well—for Imogen’s marriage at least. Marriages in peril tend to be a very sad subject but I love how this was laced with intelligent and witty humor. I found myself laughing out loud while reading. I probably looked like a maniac. The cast of characters were great. They were all so fully formed and interesting…even the ones I wanted to strangle. I also liked that I was quite a bit surprised by the book—I can’t say exactly what’s surprising without spoiling but it is surprising.
If you like Jill Mansell or Helen Fielding, pick this up.
Rating:
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio