Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, June 27, 2011

Review: The Ex-Boyfriend’s Handbook by Matt Dunn

The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook: Eddie will do whatever it takes to become her Mr. RightPublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 9781402243455
Pages: 368 pages
Genre: Fiction/Humor
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb


Summary from publisher:
"It's not me-it's you."
After ten years, Jane's had enough of Edward Middleton. "You've let yourself go," she tells him. "So I'm letting you go too."
Determined to get her back, Edward realizes he must learn how to make women want him again. But right now, he's the kind of man who puts the "ex" in "sexy." One thing is certain: if he's going to be Jane's Mr. Right, he needs to turn himself around. From Atkins to Waxing, Edward begins working his way through the makeover alphabet.
But is a change in appearance what Jane really wants? Can cuddly Teddy really become sexy Eddie? Or is there more to the dating game than meets the eye?
My Review:
I have been remiss in reading this one. I don’t know why. I knew it would be good and funny but it just never occurred to me to pick it up.
If there ever was a book that gave you a glimpse into the male psyche, it’s this one. Edward is probably the most clueless man I have ever come across and if he is an example of how men think, I think we are all in trouble. He is completely unable to take a subtle hint. He takes everything his ex-girlfriend says literally—never take your girlfriend literally. Don’t get me wrong, I liked him. Very much. But he was just so clueless. I wanted to smack him upside the head at times but, yet, he is the exact type of guy, I would date. I really couldn’t stand Jane at all. She was with Edward for 10 years. If it took her 10 years to figure out that he wasn’t going to get any better then she’s a bit of an idiot, isn’t she? It’s doubtful that she’s as perfect as she is expecting Edward to be. I was happy when he ended up with someone who could appreciate him as the good guy that he is.
I have been really in with the funny books lately. I very rarely gravitate towards books that make me laugh but this one was great. I found myself laughing out loud in very inappropriate places—my Dr’s “quiet” waiting room. It’s a very British type of humor that I tend to gravitate towards. This comparison probably gets overused but Edward did remind me of a male Bridget Jones. He was just as funny and just as embarrassing. He made me cringe in sympathetic embarrassment but all the while, I was still cheering for him.
I have the review for the sequel (Ex-Girlfriends United), which is even better than this one in my humble opinion, coming tomorrow (or the next day—depending on whether or not I have a cupcake baking catastrophe again).
Rating:
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. What a different type of book! I hadn't heard of it before, glad you put up such a good review!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio