Search Me!


Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Review: Scandal in Scotland by Karen Hawkins

Scandal in ScotlandPublisher: Pocket
ISBN: 1439175934
Pages: 384 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:
Despite fame and countless admirers, actress Marcail Beauchamp has never forgotten William Hurst, the audacious seafarer she once loved . . . and lost. Now, forced by a mysterious blackmailer who threatens her family, she must steal an ancient onyx box from the one man she’s vowed never to see again.
To save his brother from a ruthless abductor, William must deliver the artifact as ransom. He’s stunned when Marcail, more lovely than ever, suddenly appears on his ship. But when she drugs him and steals the box, his fury knows no bounds.
William pursues Marcail, but too late: she has already delivered the box. The estranged lovers realize they must work together—both to regain the artifact that could mean life or death to his family and to destroy the mysterious blackmailer’s power over her family. Thus begins a high-stakes quest through the reaches of Scotland, a quest that stirs up long-forgotten memories and an unquenchable passion. . . .
My Review:
I read this one during the 48 Hour Reading Challenge (that I completed 48 hours on—I’m still so proud of myself for that). I got through it in my first 4 or 5 hours. That’s pretty good for me. Tea is still my secret to a successful readathon but even more may be starting with a Highlander romance.
I found Marcail to be one of the more interesting heroines that I have come across in my recent reading. For one, she was an actress. I don’t think I have ever read a romance where the heroine was an actress. Maybe the hero’s mistress but not the heroine. Marcail was everything I love to find in a heroine. She was strong, intelligent and a bit wily. She was also very self-sufficient which I really loved. William was a sea captain hero—one of my favorite but rare types of hero. He was very bitter toward Marcail throughout most of the book but you can tell that he is just being a putz because he still loves her. The chemistry between Marcail and William was great. It was laced with bitterness and regret. This might make me sound like a sad person but I found the bittersweet nature of their relationship to be rather refreshing and realistic. 
I love romance novels about bitter, estranged lovers. It’s one of my favorite romance plots. They always make for a tension filled novel. This was definitely one of the better examples of that. I also loved the mystery and action aspects of this book. It definitely kept me interested and I , honestly, did not figure out who the bad guy was until the last minute. I usually figure that out right away. I don’t think it was the readathon bleariness because this was the first book I picked up. So it must be hat this was a really well-developed mystery.
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio