Search Me!


Thursday, June 30, 2011

Review: Things We Didn’t Say by Kristina Riggle

Things We Didn't Say: A NovelPublisher: William Morrow Paperbacks
ISBN: 0062003046
Pages: 352 pages
Genre: Fiction/Chick Lit
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb


Summary from publisher:

What goes unsaid can sometimes speak the loudest . . .

What makes up a family? For Casey it's sharing a house with her fiancÉ, Michael, and his three children, whom she intends to nurture more than she ever took care of herself. But Casey's plans have come undone. Michael's silences have grown unfathomable and deep. His daughter Angel seethes as only a teenage girl can, while the wide-eyed youngest, Jewel, quietly takes it all in.

Then Michael's son, Dylan, runs off, and the kids' mother, a woman never afraid to say what she thinks, noisily barges into the home. That's when Casey decides that the silences can no longer continue. She must begin speaking the words no one else can say. She'll have to dig up secrets—including her own—uncovering the hurts, and begin the healing that is long overdue. And it all starts with just a few tentative words. . . .

My Review:

I have been on a romance kick for a while. Ok, I’m always on a romance kick. But I needed to read something different as all the romance novels I’ve read recently have been merging in my mind to create an weird amalgam of a western/regency/thriller type romance novel. This was a nice break.

I don’t quite know how to describe my feelings about this book. I was a mess of frustration, sadness and hope while reading. Casey was one of those characters that tugged on every heartstring I have. She was trying so hard to fit into Michael’s family in spite of the roadblocks (his teenage kids and his psycho ex). I really liked her but yet I wanted to bash her, Michael, his ex, and his two teenage children over the head with a blunt object. Casey and Michael were content to stuff their heads in the sand instead of dealing with their problems, Mallory, Michael’s ex, was a lunatic and constantly blaming Casy for everything that went wrong in her children’s lives, and the kids themselves were just plain old teenager like.

What I loved the most about this book was how it was just about a family. A family during a not so happy time but a family nonetheless. It didn’t need the bells and whistles of overblown drama because the family was dramatic enough. I also loved that every character got to tell their side in their own voice. Even Mallory. She may just go on my list of villains with Cruella, Ursula, Sirius Black and Ron Weasley. She is truly terrible and it’s very obvious in her chapter that she is unhinged. Each character had a fully developed voice and their point of views are completely developed. I was amazed at how Riggle was able adapt to each character’s voice so well.

I was completely amazed by this book. I loved it. It was a family drama in the best sense possible.



*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds like this is an absolutely fabulous book! Thanks for the great review!



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio