Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, June 24, 2011

Review: When You Dare by Lori Foster

When You Dare (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor)Publisher: HQN Books
ISBN: 0373775717
Pages: 448 pages
Genre: Romance/Suspense 
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb


Summary from publisher:
Professional mercenary Dare Macintosh lives by one hard and fast rule: business should never be personal. If a cause appeals to him and the price is right, he'll take the mission he's offered. But then the lovely Molly Alexander asks him to help her track down the men who'd had her kidnapped—and for the first time, Dare's tempted to combine work with pleasure.
Fiercely independent, Molly vows to trust no one until she's uncovered the truth. Could the enemy be her powerful estranged father? The ex-fiancĂ© who still holds a grudge? Or the not-so-shy fan of her bestselling novels? As the danger heats up around them, the only anchor Molly has is Dare himself. But what she feels for him just might be the most frightening thing of all….
My Review:
I have been in the mood for a good romantic suspense lately. I think I’ve been too entrenched in the regency world lately and I needed a break---not a long one but a break nonetheless. I leant this book to my mother before I even picked it up—she loved it. I had to sneak it back during the 48 Hour Reading Challenge. I loved it just as much as my mother did.
I loved Molly. I don’t think I have ever come across a heroine quite like her. Many of the heroines I have come across in books like this have been through a trauma of some sort but none have had the innate strength that Molly did. Not that they haven’t been strong but, perhaps, they haven’t been as convincing. Dare was the epitome of the strong, protective hero that I love to find in books like this. I developed a huge romance novel crush on him. He’s a dog guy man enough to tell his best friend that he loved him. Both of those things only added to his awesome score.  Dare did have a gruffness about him that I loved but the gentle way he treated Molly, his dogs and his best friend, Chris, made me love him all the more and it did not take anything away from the Big Damn Hero thing he had going.
I usually tend to gravitate towards the romance plot of any given romance novel. And that was true with this one. The chemistry between Dare and Molly was intense and definitely worth the price of admission.  I thought that the romance and suspense plots worked very well together with neither plot dominating. Both plots were really well-developed and well-written. But, oddly enough, what really interested me was the mystery.  I also did not know who the bad guy was until we met them. I literally had no idea. I usually figure it out after a couple of chapters—meaning I skip to the end of the book.
This is definitely an author I will be following (fangirling). I have to read “Ready, Set, Jett”,the novella about Natalie and Jett, as well as the last book in the series, Savor The Danger. I will be posting my review of Trace of Fear tomorrow.
Rating:
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be honest, I usually shy away from romance novels but I think it's time to give it a try! This is a great review and I really want to pick up a copy of it! So glad you posted it!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio