Search Me!


Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Review: With All My Might by Gabriella Van Rij

With All My Might Book CoverPublisher: Gabriella Van Rij
ISBN:  9780986653308
Pages: 214 pages
Genre: Memoir
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Gabriella Van Rij

Summary from publisher:
Born Muslim, raised Catholic…
From an orphanage to diplomatic family…
From humble meals to three course dinners with silver cutlery…
Born in Pakistan, raised in Europe…
Every day having to defend myself at the school yard: "Is that blond, tall, gorgeous-looking woman picking you up really your mother?"
All of us have been spoon-fed or pressured into conforming by the people closest to us. Out of the conformities, our adversities are often born. You can overcome both, break free of constraints, and become proud of your own diversity.
Stay true to who you are!
Be YOU and PLEASE don’t apologize for being you!
My Review:
I have been reviewing many memoirs lately. I don’t know why. They don’t dominate what I am reading but I have been on a roll in reviewing them.
I was excited to read With All My Might because it seemed so interesting. I really love memoirs that can tell a story and inspire at the same time and this one definitely did. I definitely found it to be quite inspirational.  I normally don’t like any book that tries to be too inspirational or self-helpy but I definitely found some value in Gabriella’s message and her story.
I did love quite a bit about this book. It’s actually a series of interviews between Van Rij and a Dutch journalist. I thought that lended to a very interesting narrative. It was more reflective than I would expect from a memoir. I do think that at some points she tried to inspire too much. Sometimes it felt more like a self-help than a memoir. I love that Gabriella had a message but I would have preferred the focus be more on her life. There were, however, some passages that I liked enough to dog ear (and I NEVER do that).
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about With All My Might! :)



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio