Search Me!


Friday, July 22, 2011

Friday Events (July 22nd)

Cupcake of the week: Cookie Dough, S’mores, Chocolate Raspberry, White Chocolate Raspberry, Rainbow, Blueberry Lemon

Baking for Fun: Butterbeer Cupcakes, Firewhiskey Cupcakes (Cinnamon cake and whiskey buttercream), The Slytherin (Dark Chocolate cupcake with Crème de Menthe—or maybe absinthe), The Severus Snape (Dark Chocolate with a Chocolate Scotch Buttercream)

Reviews posted this week:

  1. Love Begins in Winter by Simon Van Booy
  2. Stiltsville by Susanna Daniel
  3. The House on Blackstone Moor by Carole Gill
  4. Centuries of June by Keith Donohue
  5. The Girl in the Garden by Kamala Nair
  6. The Creed Legacy by Linda Lael Miller
  7. French Lessons by Ellen Sussman
  8. Shut Your Eyes Tight by John Verdon


This week's question is:

Name 3 authors that you would love to sit down and spend an hour or a meal with just talking about either their books or get advice on writing from?

Hmm. Jane Austen because she is my lady and I love her unabashedly and without reservation. But I wouldn’t likely get much advice from her. I would just be fawning. J.K. Rowling just because I would want to get the “Dude, How? Why?” out of the way. How can you kill your best character off without dignity reducing him to a simpering lovestruck wuss. Snape was a badass and should have gone out like one. I still maintain that he did not, in fact, die. He is currently living in a comfortable locale where no dunderheads can bother him. Last but most definitely, not least is Georgette Heyer. She is the one I would ask for writing advice because as amazing as Jane Austen is, Georgette made regency romances a genre.

Book Blogger Hop

This Week’s Hop
What’s the ONE GENRE that you wish you could get into, but just can’t?

Hmm. I think it’s popular fiction. I hear my friends raving about these best sellers and I try to pick them up but then I remember when I put down a perfectly good romance novel to read The Da Vinci Code and look what happened. Utter travesty. There are some, however, that I would love to read—The Help and Steig Larsson’s series, for example.


  1. Hi there, I'm hopping through & following you.
    Have a great weekend!

    Holjo @ Pedantic Phooka

  2. I'm a new follower!

    I think with most books nowadays that receive loads of hype you have to be slightly wary that they may not be as good as they want you to believe. I can't help but want to read what everyone is talking about!?!

    I picked JK Rowling as well - I think she's a popular lady today :D

  3. Hi! I'm a new follower.

    Just want to say that I completely agree with you, Snape was badass. He's one of my favorite characters. I think a lot of people chose JK Rowling today haha.

    Pepa @ Anonymous Reads

  4. Hello! I just noticed you mentioned THE GIRL IN THE GARDEN. I commented to to someone else I need to add this book to my wishlist. Sounds like a good book.
    Wish I could read paranormal/fantasy.
    Following you on GFC now.

  5. Hi & Happy Friday!

    My FF,

    Have a nice weekend :)

  6. New follower, hoping thru.

    FF -

  7. Re: Book Blogger Hop
    I don't read any contemporary fiction. I agree that there seems to be so much's hard to know what's really good.

  8. This is quite possibly the best answer that I have read all day! And can I just say... S'mores cupcakes? YUM! Have a fantastic weekend!

    Bonnie @ HandsAndHome

  9. I totally agree...I have a hard time with those types of books too...especially if it doesn't have any romance in it....its really a challenge for me to get into!!! Hope that you are having a good weekend so far!

  10. I'm really with you on 'popular fiction'. Some times I will like the book, but others...well, I just don't share the same tastes, I guess. Read, Pray, Love for example (I thought this book was awful) and I share your feelings on The DaVinci code.

  11. Hopping through. Georgette Heyer is a great, unique choice. I love her books.
    My Hop

  12. Jane Austen is truly one amazing lady and it would be awesome to rattle her bones and ask her about some of the inspiration that she had for writing her novels.

    And I think I can sort of agree with you on popular fiction, because all of the hype surrounding The Hunger Games trilogy had me running away from it instead of towards it and embracing it like I normally would. So, now that everyone else has already read this series and are in the loop about it, I'm the one playing catch up and I'm just perfectly fine with that. :)

    Happy Friday Hops, have a grrreat weekend!
    Suz @ A Soul Unsung
    My Friday Hops (+) Blog Hop!

  13. Thanks for dropping by @ We Fancy Books *waves*

    Following you now :)

  14. Since last week's pie chart about where I get my books was so popular, I thought I'd share what types of books I do read. Please stop by to see which genres I don't typically read.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio