Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, July 25, 2011

Review: Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann

Publisher: Spiegel & Grau
ISBN: 0385527152
Pages: 592 pages
Genre: Womwn’s Fiction/Romance 
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

Self-published in 2003, Hilary Thayer Hamann’s Anthropology of an American Girl touched a nerve among readers, who identified with the sexual and intellectual awakening of its heroine, a young woman on the brink of adulthood.  A moving depiction of the transformative power of first love, Hamann’s first novel follows Eveline Auerbach from her high school years in East Hampton, New York, in the 1970s through her early adulthood in the moneyed, high-pressured Manhattan of the 1980s.

Centering on Evie’s fragile relationship with her family and her thwarted love affair with Harrison Rourke, a professional boxer, the novel is both a love story and an exploration of the difficulty of finding one’s place in the world.  As Evie surrenders to the dazzling emotional highs of love and the crippling loneliness of heartbreak, she strives to reconcile her identity with the constraints that all relationships—whether those familial or romantic, uplifting to the spirit or quietly detrimental—inherently place on us. Though she stumbles and strains against social conventions, Evie remains a strong yet sensitive observer of the world around her, often finding beauty and meaning in unexpected places.

Newly edited and revised since its original publication, Anthropology of an American Girl is an extraordinary piece of writing, original in its vision and thrilling in its execution.

My Review: 

I am not intimidated by books of many pages. At all. In fact, I seek them out. I love a book that will pull me in and make me forget that I have plodded through more than 500 pages. This was one of them. I also thought that this was one of the prettiest and most well-bound books that I have ever come into contact with. That automatically upped it in my estimation before I even read a word.

Evie was one of those characters that I could easily have disliked. Very easily, in fact. She was one of those characters who charmed everyone they met almost immediately. She was overly beautiful, overly interesting and completely irresistible to any man she she meets. Yeah right. Gag me. With a lesser author writing her story, I would have been frustrated, angry and disillusioned but Hamann made me like her even though I didn’t want to. I found Evie’s voice to be utterly charming and her story and romances to be interesting.

I loved Hamann’s writing style. It reminded me of The Bell Jar, Jane Austen and Special Topics in Calamity Physics. In that order. I was also happy that there was no boredom with this one. I thought there would be. To be honest. As much as I love big books, it is rare that I find one that does not bore me at all. This one didn’t. Not even for a moment or a couple of pages. I read this one in one very long sitting. I’m known for reading many pages in one go but I read 600 pages in 4 hours. So it kinda had to be good.


Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a fan a of big books myself - so glad you enjoyed this one!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio