Search Me!


Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Review: The Ghost of Greenwich Village by Lorna Graham

Publisher: Ballantine Books
ISBN: 034552621X
Pages:352 pages
Genre: Fiction/Coming of Age 
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

In this charming fiction debut, a young woman moves to Manhattan in search of romance and excitement—only to find that her apartment is haunted by the ghost of a cantankerous Beat Generation writer in need of a rather huge favor.

For Eve Weldon, moving to Greenwich Village is a dream come true. She’s following in the bohemian footsteps of her mother, who lived there during the early sixties among a lively community of Beat artists and writers. But when Eve arrives, the only scribe she meets is a grumpy ghost named Donald, and the only writing she manages to do is for chirpy segments on a morning news program, Smell the Coffee. The hypercompetitive network environment is a far cry from the genial camaraderie of her mother’s literary scene, and Eve begins to wonder if the world she sought has faded from existence. But as she struggles to balance her new job, demands from Donald to help him complete his life’s work, a budding friendship with a legendary fashion designer, and a search for clues to her mother’s past, Eve begins to realize that community comes in many forms—and that the true magic of the Village is very much alive, though it may reveal itself in surprising ways.

My Review:

I have been on a reading roll. Almost every book I have picked up this month has been good. There have been no duds. This one was no exception. I loved it. It was the perfect mix of chick lit, fantasy and coming of age.

I loved Eve. I identified with her. I think every New Yorker has been a bit fascinated by life in the Village at one point or another.  I discovered that it’s a nice place to visit but a pain in the butt to live there. I did have some annoyance with Eve. I felt that she used her charm to get away with her mistakes and errors. People who use faux sweetness to get away with their mistakes only make things worse for themselves because they never learn from it. I did like her but that was the one thing about her that really annoyed me. I did love the inclusion of the ghost, Donald. Now he was amazing. I liked him better than Eve much of the time.

I did like this book quite a bit. That’s saying something considering that I read this during the heatwave when my wireless died and my AC decided to stop working. It was literally the only thing that kept me sane. I enjoyed Eve’s story quite a bit. I found watching her navigate her life in Greenwich Village with her career, her ghost and her mother’s past to be very interesting. I did, however, find the grumpy gus ghost to be ever so more entertaining than Eve. Just a little bit. But I did love him. 


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found something to keep you going during the heatwave! I was tent camping in that heat - ugh.

    Thanks for being a part of the tour. I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio