Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, July 18, 2011

Review: The Girl in the Garden by Kamala Nair

Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
ISBN: 0446572683
Pages: 320 pages
Genre: Fiction/Family
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb


Summary from publisher:
The redemptive journey of a young woman unsure of her engagement, who revisits in memory the events of one scorching childhood summer when her beautiful yet troubled mother spirits her away from her home to an Indian village untouched by time, where she discovers in the jungle behind her ancestral house a spellbinding garden that harbors a terrifying secret.
My Review:

I have been looking forward to The Girl in the Garden since it landed on my doorstep. I’ve heard so many amazing things about it and I was so happy to learn that all of those amazing things I heard were absolutely accurate.
This was one of those family dramas that you just can’t help but be sucked into. I wanted to know the mysteries behind Rakhee’s family story. I initially could not understand why Rakhee would leave the man she loved to solve the mystery. But how can you really move on to a new part of your life when you still haven’t figured out your past. I think that discovery of the past is the most interesting part of the book.
I absolutely fell in love with Nair’s writing style. It is so poetic and descriptive. It really flowed well throughout the story. I also love the dichotomy between the two settings of Plainfield and Malanad. One is literally so plain and staid but the other rich and colorful. Nair created such a rich and detailed setting. You really got the feel for both India and the Midwest. The storytelling was just plain amazing. It kept me interested in Rakhee’s family history and her story throughout the generations.
Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I love that the author was able to capture two very different settings - India and Midwest America - so vividly!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio