Search Me!


Friday, July 15, 2011

Review: The House on Blackstone Moor by Carole Gill

imagePublisher: Vamplit Publishing 
Genre: Horror/Gothic
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Vamplit Publishing, Smashwords 

Summary from publisher:
This is a tale of vampirism, madness, obsession and devil worship as Rose Baines, only survivor of her family’s carnage, tells her story. Fragile, damaged by the tragedy, fate sends her to a desolate house on the haunted moors where demons dwell. The house and the moors have hideous secrets, yet there is love too; deep, abiding, eternal, but it comes with a price, her soul.
My Review:

I have a huge love for gothic novels. Huge. Not as huge as my love for Regencies but still quite a large love. I mean Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte, Ann Radcliffe, Mary Shelley etc. All amazing.

While I love old-fashioned gothic romances, I have never found a modern one that can compare at all. Writers have tried but they always seem to fall short on the language and story building. Not so with this one. Gill recreated the gothic feel perfectly. If I didn’t know that this was a modern novel, I would think it had been written when gothic romances were at their peak.

I normally have trouble reading for extended periods of time with my e-reader but I read this in two short sittings between cupcake batches. The mystery developed nicely and the story was never short of suspense. There was also a touch of romance which the romance novel addict in me loves.  I also will devour anything with vampires in it—especially when it’s done in a different way.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. Thank you for sharing your review of The House on Blackstone Moor!

  2. Wow! just got online (travelling all day) thank you so much, Grace. First of all for being a host and secondly for your review.
    I am so honored and delighted by what you have said!
    Remember, the sequel is coming, sequel/prequel actually!
    Thanks again.

  3. I believe this is one great review! High praise indeed. Carole Gill does not take the easy road when it comes to writing her tales, and it certainly shows. Great, great, great!


  4. thanks Blaze! you're very kind.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio