Search Me!


Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Review: Love Begins in Winter by Simon Van Booy

Publisher: Harper Perennial
ISBN: 9780061661471
Pages: 256 pages
Genre: Fiction/Short Stories 
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:
On the verge of giving up—anchored to dreams that never came true and to people who have long since disappeared from their lives—Van Booy's characters walk the streets of these stark and beautiful stories until chance meetings with strangers force them to face responsibility for lives they thought had continued on without them.
My Review:

I am not usually a big fan of short stories. Even collections of them. I actively avoid them. But I read Everything Beautiful Began After and couldn’t pass this up even if I wanted to. There are some authors you put aside your personal reading preferences for and Simon Van Booy is one of them.

I have never come across a writer who can take such simple words and turn them into something so beautiful. I am not usually one to “ooh” and “aww” about an author’s writing style but I a doing that with this one. I can’t help it the language is just so beautiful and that writing style is right up my alley. Short sentences that manage to convey so much in the most eloquent of ways.

I was amazed by these five stories. All of them start so bleakly with the saddest of characters but they all convey hope, happiness and love in their own unique ways. I love each of these stories so much that I cannot even pick a favorite but I do have to admit that “The City of Windy Trees” is my favorite. Van Booy was at his best in that one.

I don’t think I can recommend this highly enough. Simon Van Booy is a truly amazing writer and this one is a definite must read.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. Lately I have really been enjoying short stories. I find it a nice change of pace especially when I have been reading a lot of longer novels. This sounds like a great collection and I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks for brining it to my attention!

    Bonnie @ HandsAndHome

  2. My book club has had great success reading short story collections - I'll definitely recommend this one to them!

    Thanks for being on the tour.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio