Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Review: The Secret Lives of People in Love by Simon Van Booy

Publisher: Harper Perennial
ISBN: 0061766127
Pages:208 pages
Genre: Fiction/Short Stories 
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

The Secret Lives of People in Love is the first short story collection by award-winning writer Simon Van Booy. These stories, set in Kentucky, New York, Paris, Rome, and Greece, are a perfect synthesis of intensity and atmosphere. Love, loss, human contact, and isolation are Van Booy's themes. In radiant prose he writes about the difficult choices we make in order to retain our humanity and about the redemptive power of love in a violent world.

Included in this updated P.S. edition is the new story "The Mute Ventriloquist."

My Review: 

I have become a huge fan of Simon Van Booy in such a very short time. This is the third book by him that I have read and reviewed by him and they only keep getting better (Everything Beautiful Began After and Love Begins in Winter ). They were both among my favorite reads of the summer and I don’t see why this one should be any different.

I’m not usually a big fan of short stories. Especially short stories this short. I usually limit myself to novellas and novels. But it was Simon Van Booy. So yeah, I was looking forward to it.  I thought that all 18 stories were so well done. They were very short but long enough to be poignant. It was almost like a series of pictures. A moment captured and then you move on.

I am a huge fan of Simon Van Booy. I love his writing style. It’s so lyrical and descriptive. He has his own unique tone and voice that permeates his books. I am usually not a fan of short stories especially the ones that don’t exceed 20 pages. But I loved this collection even though all the stories were rather short.

I highly recommend you pick up at least one of Simon Van Booy’s books. They all are amazing and you won’t find another author like him. 

Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to read more short stories - sounds like this is a great place to start!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio