Search Me!


Monday, July 25, 2011

Review: The Soldier by Grace Burrowes

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 140224567X
Pages: 416  pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

Be among the first to discover rising star Grace Burrowes, whose searing debut, The Heir, captured awards, rave reviews, and a crusade of fans who can't stop talking about it.

Even in the quiet countryside he can find no peace...

His idyllic estate is falling down from neglect and nightmares of war give him no rest.

Then Devlin St. Just meets his new neighbor...

Until his beautiful neighbor ignites his imagination...

With her confident manner hiding a devastating secret, his lovely neighbor commands all of his attention, and protecting Emmaline becomes Deviln's most urgent mission.

My Review:

I have been delayed by this book because I had no concrete opinion of it the first time around. None.I needed an extra read to decide whether this was a 4 or 5 star book. I usually know immediately but I was completely confused her. I'm still a bit iffy about some things but I do have a concrete opinion.

Emmaline was one of the major reasons why I was having so much trouble forming an opinion. I wasn't sure if I loved her or if I disliked her to the point of gross bodily harm.I decided that I liked her. Her indecisiveness when it came to both Devlin and Winnie annoyed me greatly. But I eventually came to understand her motivations. She also had a secret--that I figured out very quickly--but still it impacts her decision making process. I loved Devlin. He was my favorite type of hero--weathered, tattered, worn and a bit tortured. But in spite of his issues he is still a gentleman and I loved that. Especially to Winnie. He is so sweet with her.

It did take me a while to read this one and I read it twice. It took me the two reads to make a connection with the heroine. Normally, that is beyond my scope of liking a book but not here. I felt as if I was missing something that first time around. And I was. I got it the second. Grace Burrowes' writing is amazing like always. But what I loved the most was that Burrowes did not demonize Devlin's rival for Emmie. As a matter of fact I quite liked him. At times, I preferred him over Devlin.

Overall this was a really great romance novel that I would have looked over if I had not  given it that second read. You probably won't need that second read but definitely give this one a go especially if you liked The Heir.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio