Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Review: Stiltsville by Susanna Daniel

Publisher: Harper Perennial
ISBN: 0061963089
Pages: 336 pages
Genre: Fiction
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb




Summary from publisher:
One sunny morning in 1969, Frances Ellerby finds herself in a place called Stiltsville, a community of ?houses built on pilings in the middle of Biscayne Bay. It's the first time the Atlanta native has been out on the open water, and she's captivated. On the dock of a stilt house, with the dazzling Miami skyline in the distance, she meets the house's owner, Dennis DuVal—and a new future reveals itself.
Turning away from her quiet, predictable life back home, Frances moves to Miami to be with Dennis. Over time, she earns the confidence of his wild-at-heart sister and the approval of his oldest friend. Frances and Dennis marry and have a child—but rather than growing complacent about their good fortune, they continue to face the challenges of intimacy in the complicated city they call home.
With Stiltsville, Susanna Daniel weaves the beauty, violence, and humanity of Miami's coming-of-age with an enduring story of a marriage's beginning, maturity, and heartbreaking demise.
My Review:

Today has been an exercise in patience. First there was a rogue wild turkey wandering about my backyard and then there were mountains of cupcakes, then there was an episode of manic panic that had everyone thinking I was completely out of my mind.

I wasn’t really sure what to think of Stiltsville when I started it. I usually go into a book with a good general idea of what the novel is about and what I think of it. This time I didn’t because I didn’t even read the back cover before I started reading. I really loved that this one was that it was a calm and gentle read. It was just a story about a couple’s marriage. There was no great drama or action but it kept me just as engrossed as the most action packed novel out there. 

There were so many things I loved about this book. The setting was amazing. I had no idea there were communities of houses built on stilts in Florida. To tell you the truth, I think that would scare me a bit. I have a fear of open water. But it’s definitely an interesting location. The setting was such a huge part of the book. It was almost another character. I did think that the plot was a bit choppy at times. It ebbed and flowed. I wavered between complete engrossment and boredom. I was engrossed more often than I was bored but the boredom still occurred.
This would definitely make a lovely beach read. Not that I ever go to the beach—it freaks me out.

Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this book before. It might be refreshing to read a book with a simple plot line that is just about a marriage - you know what I mean? It sounds like a sweet and relaxing read, I'll have to check it out!

    Bonnie @ HandsAndHome

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beach freaks you out?! And it is one of my very favorite place in the world. :)

    I'm so glad you enjoyed this one - it sounds like a wonderful read.

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio