Search Me!


Thursday, August 11, 2011

Friday Events (August 12th)

Question: Does anyone know if there is a group of New York Book Bloggers yet? I was thinking of starting one.
Pies: Key Lime Pie and Strawberry Peach Pie

Reviews posted this week:

  1. Northwest Corner by John Burnham Schwartz
  2. Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue by Stephanie Laurens


This week's question is:

Q. How has your reading habits changed since you were a teen? or If you are still a teen what new genres are you in love with currently?

This is probably strange but as a teen I was snooty. I was a completely classics reader. The only time I would deviate from that is with V.C. Andrews. In college, reading classics became schoolwork so I had to find something else. I ended up reading romance novels and YA for fun. And now, I am addicted and there is no saving me---although I do reread Anne of Green Gables, Little Women and Pride and Prejudice yearly.

Book Blogger Hop

This Week’s Hop

“Let’s talk crazy book titles! Highlight one or two (or as many as you like!) titles in your personal collection that have the most interesting titles! If you can’t find any, feel free to find one on the internet!”

Oh Lordy. Probably Just My Type. It’s a book about fonts! That has to be the best title I have ever heard.

A hugely entertaining and revealing guide to the history of type that asks, What does your favorite font say about you?

Fonts surround us every day, on street signs and buildings, on movie posters and books, and on just about every product we buy. But where do fonts come from, and why do we need so many? Who is responsible for the staid practicality of Times New Roman, the cool anonymity of Arial, or the irritating levity of Comic Sans (and the movement to ban it)?

Typefaces are now 560 years old, but we barely knew their names until about twenty years ago when the pull-down font menus on our first computers made us all the gods of type. Beginning in the early days of Gutenberg and ending with the most adventurous digital fonts, Simon Garfield explores the rich history and subtle powers of type. He goes on to investigate a range of modern mysteries, including how Helvetica took over the world, what inspires the seeming ubiquitous use of Trajan on bad movie posters, and exactly why the all-type cover of Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus was so effective. It also examines why the "T" in the Beatles logo is longer than the other letters and how Gotham helped Barack Obama into the White House. A must-have book for the design conscious, Just My Type's cheeky irreverence will also charm everyone who loved Eats, Shoots & Leaves and Schott's Original Miscellany.


Not up yet


  1. Hello! New follower here. ^_^ I think that's awesome, rereading Anne Of Green Gables, I loved that book. I used to read it all the time when I was younger. I'm planning on reading it again next year.

    Here's my Follow Friday. :)

  2. oh, yeah. i remember V.C. Andrews! Hopping through, new follower here!

    my FF:

  3. Wow, Just My Type sounds like a fascinating book! If I'm not mistaken, I do believe we're getting this title for my library system. :) Very cool book, thank you for sharing!

    My Blog Hop

  4. Hopping through. I wasn't a big classics reader as a teen. I got more into them in college. Now I read a few classics but not many.
    My Hop

  5. Nice blog! New follower! Not sure I would reada book about font..that is strange and wierd but kind of

  6. I read mostly classics in high school too. But now, like you, I've settled into mostly YA.

    Great title! It reminds me of Eats, Shoots and Leaves, the book about grammar and punctuation.

    New follower :) Hope you have a great weekend!

    My Friday Hops

  7. New follower! We all go through that VC Andrews phase.

    FF & BBH:

  8. I didn't read many classics in high school, and I don't read many now, either! But I do want to read those you have mentioned!

  9. I've never been into the classics, and tried to avoid reading as much as possible when I was a teen. Now I love it though, and that's pretty much due to the wide range of YA we have now.

    New Follwer ;) Here's my FF

  10. How cool!! A book about fonts!!

    Happy Friday!!

    Hop on over to the Wastelands ;)

  11. Visiting from the hop:) What a cool title for a book about fonts. Have a great weekend!

  12. When I was a teenager my favorite authors were Cervantes, Plato, and Shakespeare! My favorite genre now is historical romance.

    My favorite genre now is historical romance and since Cervantes is considered the first "romance" author I consider him to be the author who most influenced my love of reading that genre!

  13. A rehabilitated classics reader, huh? ;) There are so many classics that I haven't read yet, that I've always meant to. Been toying with the idea of making that my reading challenge for 2012 :)

    My FF

  14. I heard about Just My Type. It did sound interesting, and I liked the play on words with the title, but I just couldn't imagine reading a book about fonts. If I were looking for a particular one, maybe, but...

    New Follower. Here's ours

  15. I easily came up with five crazy book titles just by taking a fast look at my bookshelf.

    All five come from the same book series. Can you guess which series it is?

    Here’s a hint – The book series is a trilogy in five parts.

    Hop on over to my blog for the answer –

    Howard A. Sherman, Implementor
    Get Inside a Story

  16. A book about fonts? Awesome! :)

    New follower! :)

  17. Anne of Green Gables is my all time fave, especially the TV series. I've bought a box set of the books.

    Here's my Follow Friday post.

  18. Hi there,
    Stopping by via Parajunkee's Follow Friday. I'm following you.

    Have a great weekend!

    Holjo @ Pedantic Phooka

  19. Hi hi! New follower ^_^ Love the blog~

    Here's my FF if you wanna check it out :

  20. *squees* V.C. Andrews love. :) I've started reading more and more YA these days, it's crazy! I'm also a big paranormal romance fan, but well, P&P is always going to be one of the best books ever written.

    my FF/Hop

  21. I read a lot of VC too! New follower here. I'd love it if you'd stop by and check out my #FF at and be on the lookout for my review/interview/giveaway towards the end of August!


  22. Hi new follower from the hop.

    I remember the first time I brought a VC Andrews book home. My mom freaked, but I didn't know what it was about.

    I love finding out about fonts. Hvae you seen Helvetica



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio