Search Me!


Friday, August 5, 2011

Friday Events (August 5th)

Cupcake of the week: Chocolate Ancho, Banana Caramel and Neapolitan

Baking for Fun: Firewhiskey Cupcakes (Cinnamon cake and whiskey buttercream), The Slytherin (Dark Chocolate cupcake with Crème de Menthe—or maybe absinthe), The Severus Snape (Dark Chocolate with a Chocolate Scotch Buttercream)

Reviews posted this week:

  1. Pillow Talk by Freya North
  2. In The Heat of the Bite by Lydia Dare
  3. Just One Season in London by Leigh Michaels
  4. A Gentleman Never Tells by Amelia Grey
  5. Reign of Madness by Lynn Cullen


This week's question is:

Q. Talk about the book that most changed or influenced your life (was it a book that turned you from an average to avid reader, did it help you deal with a particularly difficult situation, does it bring you comfort every time you read it?).

I have to be honest. I have always been an avid reader. My first memories are of my mother reading to me. Now I know I wasn’t reading but my mother used to take us on daily trips to the library until I was old enough to go by myself –and I have also been on a 7 book a week habit since as long as I can remember.  I’ve always read and I’ve been reading just about everything—my mother never put any restrictions on our reading material.

I never really realized that was not normal and that most kids did not curl up with books when they went home from school. It was pointed out to me by my 6th grade teacher who was abashed that I visited the in-class library and picked a book (well above the 6th grade reading level) and zipped through the book during a class break. She gave me a reading list of books to read and I looked at it as almost a treasure. I still have it.

The first books that ever made me go all star-shiny were Anne of Green Gables and Little Women. I read them when I was in the 2nd and 3rd grade I think. I still have the copies I read (they are falling apart) and I still feel the same joy when I read them.
Book Blogger Hop

This Week’s Hop

What is the one ARC you would love to get your hands on right now?

Hmm I don’t rightly know. I don’t really keep a wishlist or anything like that but I would not say No to an ARC of Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick or Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare. I also would love more historical romance ARC’s mainly just because I just broke the bank with another 100+ book shopping spree.


Not up yet


  1. New follower :) A Clockwork Prince is up way high on my list too!

    Hippies, Beauty, and Books. Oh My!

  2. Hi & Happy Friday!

    My FF,

    Have a nice weekend.

  3. I have yet to read Little women... the shame. ;)

    I got married thanks to this book...
    My 3rd Friday Follow Entry

    New Follower. :)

  4. Little Women is a rite of passage for any budding bibliophile :-)

  5. Hi,
    Just dropping by via the blog hop. Oh, Little Women is one of my all time favourites!

    Check out my FF @

    I’m hosting a Mega Aussie Author GIVEAWAY which is international so please stop by and check it out!
    The Australian Bookshelf

  6. Thanks for stopping in to my Follow Friday! I am a new follower!
    Amber @ Me, My Shelf and I

  7. Ah! I completely forgot about Little Women when I was answering this over at Fuzzy.Coffee.Books! I read that book over and over when I was younger! Great answer!
    *new follower

  8. I've always been reading too. Though not seven books a week, I would always have my nose in one. Great answer!!

    Here's my FF!

  9. Hopping through. I read Anne in 3rd or 4th grade and loved it. I re-read it and then read the whole series in college and really loved it.
    My Hop

  10. I didn't become an avid reader until about 7th grade. One month and one day from today's hop, the book I'm highlighting comes out. Come see which book I'm talking about.

  11. I definitely know about the book buying.

  12. I loved Little Women growing up but never read Anne of Green Gables - that is a book that I am looking forward to reading with my girls when they are a bit older. Grace, thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words! Have a great weekend!!!

    Bonnie @ HandsAndHome

  13. Hopping from Book Bloggers Hop. Already following you on GFC. Stop by and see what ARC I can't wait to get my hands on.
    Have a great weekend!



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio