Search Me!


Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: Catriona by Jeanette Baker

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402255861
Pages:400 pages
Genre: Romance/Fantasy/Historical  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

Rita Award–winning author Jeanette Baker has enthralled readers the world over with her thrilling tale of love, danger, and a passion that endures across the boundaries of time.

Kate Sutherland's arrival in the misty moors of her ancestral home in the Shetland Islands was supposed to cure her visions of danger, intrigue...and a sexy powerful Scottish border lord. Instead, she discovers that she's been living the tormented memories of Catriona Wells, a beautiful young woman of royal blood who lived five centuries before.

Shielding a dark secret from her past, Catriona was willing to do anything to save her young brother from the deadly politics of her royal family-even agree to an arranged marriage with the formidable Patrick MacKendrick. But would daring to love the hardened warrior who desired her so fiercely destroy her family... or finally allow her to heal?

Meanwhile, Kate is battling her own attraction to Niall MacCormack, an alluring Scottish historian. As the pull of history beckons, Kate has her own decision to make: choose the life and love of her present, or risk everything in Catriona's world of passion and peril.

My Review:     

I have been wanting to read more of Jeanette Baker’s books since I read and reviewed Legacy and loved it. I have been really looking forward to Catriona because it seemed as if it was even more my style than Legacy was. I was right. This was one of the reading highlights of a summer full of reading highlights.

I have to say that this is one of the few historical romances that does the whole two time periods and two couples well. Kate and Niall were the couple in the present (erm the late 90’s). I loved watching Kate experience both her story with Niall and Catriona’s story with Patrick. Niall was a more intellectual and bookish type of hero. Not my normal type of hero but I still loved him. I did prefer Patrick. Catriona and Patrick were the main couple in the historical portion of the book and they were amazing. Catriona was one of the few heroines I have come across who do not become foolhardy or obnoxious. Patrick was my favorite hero of the two. He was very strong with alpha tendencies but he was still gentle and likeable.  

Historical romances that go between the past and present are either a hit or a major miss with me. I feel like I have read this book many times before. But I don’t think I have ever read one better than this one. Both time periods we well done. I never had a moment of boredom with either one. I never felt that I could skip around to the time period I liked better because I loved both. I also loved both couples. Usually I pick one that I like more but I always loved both couples equally. Both Kate and Niall and Catriona and Patrick had amazing chemistry and their stories were so well done and interesting.

I don’t think I can recommend this book highly enough. This is really a great read that I had trouble putting down.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio