Search Me!


Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Review: The Private World of Georgette Heyer by Jane Aiken Hodge

Publisher: Sourcebooks 
ISBN: 1402251920
Pages:256 pages
Genre: Biography  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

An internationally bestselling phenomenon and queen of the Regency romance, Georgette Heyer is one of the most beloved historical novelists of our time. She wrote more than fifty novels, yet her private life was inaccessible to any but her nearest friends and relatives.

Lavishly illustrated and with access to private papers, correspondence and family archives, this classic biography opens a window into Georgette Heyer's world and that of her most memorable characters, revealing a formidable, energetic woman with an impeccable sense of style and, beyond everything, a love for all things Regency.

My Review: 

I am a huge fan of Georgette Heyer. The more I read of her, the more I love her. I did not know much about her life before reading this book. At all. I usually do my research about my favorite authors but I’ve been quite lazy recently.

I learned so much about Georgette Heyer from this book. I know it sounds simple to say about a biography but I really knew nothing about this woman. I was pleased to find that I genuinely liked her. She seemed like the type of person who would tell you exactly what she thought of you. I tend to admire people like that. She was also quite a bit quirky which I loved. I also loved how fiercely protective she was of her work and of her family. I do have to admit that I am curious about the books she suppressed—as she did have a tendency to do.

I love reading biographies of y favorite authors. They are the best way to get a clear picture of the author and of their creative process. Aiken Hodge created such a well-rounded picture of Georgette Heyer that I really feel as if I know her on some level. The book was clearly very closely researched with help from people who actually know Heyer. I am so happy that I read this before I started reading Heyer’s novels because it enriched the reading experience so much.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio