Search Me!


Friday, August 26, 2011

Review: The Vampire Next Door by Ashlyn Chase

Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
ISBN: 1402236638
Pages:384 pages
Genre: Romance/Paranormal/Vampires  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

In this third installment of Chase's lively, sexy, paranormal trilogy, we meet witch Morgaine, who is deathly afraid of the dark, and her vigilante vampire neighbor Sly, who has his reasons for hating sunlight. Sly needs Morgaine's magic to help heal a broken fang, but with further help, and sometimes hindrance, from the wacky apartment dwellers around them, they may become each other's last hope for a normal life...

My Review:      

I had no idea what I was getting into with this books. At all. All I knew was that the cover was amazing. It has the same quirky, whimsical charm as the Sookie Stackhouse covers.  I was hoping that the first impressions would mean good things. I was most definitely correct.

Morgaine was such an amazing character. She was borderline adorable. She was quirky and funny. I also can totally understand her fear of the dark—I still sleep with a light on and I think I always will. Sly was definitely not the typical vampire. He was not slick, suave or broody. He was a bit doopy and quite adorable. He was definitely not an Edward or an Eric Northman but he was amazing in his own way. He was pleasantly normal despite his state of undead.

I loved just about everything about this book. I loved the secondary characters and I had no idea that they were characters from the previous novels.  I loved so many of them that I must acquire them and read them when the TBR trims a little. Gwenyth was especially hilarious. She was the typical stereotype of the dull, Southern debutante (not that all Southern women are like that but you have to meet Gwenyth). This was also one of the more interesting takes on the paranormal that I have ever seen. It was funny in a very harmless and satirical kind of way.

If you ever need a good laugh or want to read a non-broody/suave vampire, pick this one up. It’s an experience in and of itself.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. That sounds terrific. I have to get this series.


  2. I just recently came across this series and marked it as wishlist - glad to see you liked it. :)

  3. Sounds like a fun one. I have the first in this series, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I should soon, it sounds like one I'll enjoy.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio