Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday Events (September 30th)

I have read a grand total of 74 book this month. Holy crap! I didn’t even realize it was so many until I counted. Most of them were great. There were two duds. All in all September was awesome.

 
Cupcakes: Strawberry Rhubarb


Reviews posted this week:

  1. Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M. by Sam Wasson
  2. After All is Said and Done by Belinda G. Buchanan
  3. The Cat Letters by Lexis de Rothschild
  4. Tears of Gold by Laurie McBain
  5. Venetia by Georgette Heyer
  6. Sylvester or the Wicked Uncle by Georgette Heyer
  7. Lord and Lady Spy by Shana Galen
  8. Never Been Bit by Lydia Dare
  9. Mocked by Faith by Michele Richard
  10. Waiting For Robert Capa by Susana Fortes
  11. Fitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star by Heather Lynn Rigaud


  This week's question is:

Q. What book that hasn't been turned into a movie (yet) would you most like to see make it to the big screen, and who would you like cast as your favorite character?

Outlander! It would make a spectacular movie. Jamie would be amazing (played by Francois Arnaud, Henry Cavill or Chris Hemsworth). I am actually quite shocked that it hasn’t been made yet. I like to blame it on Diana Gabaldon’s stance on fan fiction. Fan fiction (and other fan creations that I believe Gabaldon doesn’t allow as well) does tend to create a rabid fanbase that leads to movies being made.

Book Blogger Hop

                                               This weeks post.

“In honor of Banned Books Week, what is your favorite “banned or frequently challenged book”?”

I make it a habit to read Banned Books. I don’t like anyone telling me I can’t read something. Parents should focus on parenting their own children instead of parenting everyone else’s kids.

My favorite banned book of all time is To Kill A Mockingbird. How does anyone in good conscious ban this book? They are all morons. If they want their kids to be as ignorant as they are, that’s their business. But to ban one of the best books ever written for language (in a book about racial injustice..c’mon.) is a sin in my book. Obviously, those who banned had not read the book or they would have known what the book was about and why the language was used.

image

Banned Books: How do you feel about the censorship of the freedom to read? Do you think the education system needs to be more strict on what children are exposed to in books?

I think the banning of any reading material for any person of any age is wrong. Yes, I know there are books that are too mature for children of younger age groups. But I do not think it’s the responsibility of anyone but the child’s parent to police what any child reads. If I had children, I would have a hard time restraining myself from throwing a haymaker of a fit if someone took a book away from my kid if I gave them permission to read it.

If anything, schools should be less strict because kids nowadays are more sheltered than ever. I remember books for young kids being written about true to life subjects when I was growing up in the early to mid 90’s—most were very real to life. These books talked about issues that kids (and teens) would soon be experiencing in life. I think most of them today would be banned. How do they expect kids to grow up and figure things out if they only have watered-down reference points? Let them experience some reality on safe paper before they experience it in dangerous real world.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! 54! Congratulations! I read 30 last month and thought that was amazing! :D

    I love love love Anne of Green Gables! In fact that whole world on Prince Edward Island has been a lifelong obsession of mine. I re-read the books over the summer as well! Did you ever watch the series Road to Avonlea? I used to write massive amounts of Avonlea fan fiction in my teens! ahaha! :)


    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi & Happy Friday!

    Wow! 54 books, well done :)

    Thank-you for stopping by my blog earlier www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    Have a great weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  3. New like via blog hop hoping you will follow us back at http://www.beckvalleybooks.blogspot.com thks in advance xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the second time I've seen Anne of Green Gables for this one! It must be lovely.

    New follower!

    http://readingtopenguins.blogspot.com/2011/09/following-friday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopping through. I think I've only read one of the Emily books. I can't remember.
    54 books is uber impressive!
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Follow Friday!

    I hope you will stop by and check out our twitter event going on today!
    http://OurBooksOurVoice.Blogspot.com

    Sincerely,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outlander and To Kill A Mockingbird are so popular choice today! I haven't read any of those though =P

    I hope you can visit My Hops

    I'm a New Follower,
    April at Books4Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd definitely agree. I believe that it's up to the parents to decide what their child can read, and even then, parents ought to be fair about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish i could get through that many books in a month. i may have to make that a new year challenge. i disagree with To Kill a Mockingbird and others on that list.
    http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopping through. Wow, 74 books! I love TKAM too.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopping By! I thought my sister was an amazingly fast reader! She doesn't hold a candle to you!

    Come over to my blog if you get the chance. Here's my post: http://bookendcrossing.blogspot.com/2011/10/book-blogger-hop-930-103.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio