Search Me!

Loading...

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: Bath Tangle by Georgette Heyer

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca 
ISBN: 1402238797
Pages:368 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

Lady Serena Carlow is an acknowledged beauty, but she's got a temper as fiery as her head of red hair. When her father dies unexpectedly, Serena discovers to her horror that she has been left a ward of Ivo Barrasford, marquis of Rotherham, a man whom Serena once jilted and who now has the power to give or withhold his consent to any marriage she might contemplate. With her father's heir eager to take over his inheritance--and Serena's lifelong home--she and her lovely young stepmother, Fanny, decide to move to Bath, where Serena makes an odd new friend and discovers an old love, Major Hector Kirkby. Before long, Serena, Fanny, Kirkby, and Rotherham are entangled in a welter of misunderstood emotions, mistaken engagements, and misdirected love.

Georgette Heyer's genius has always been in creating memorable characters, then placing them in a comedy of manners that is absolutely true to the Regency period. Bath Tangle is a delightful romp through the haute ton of early-19th-century England, and the battling, passionate, meant-for-each-other Ivo and Serena are one of her most successful romantic duos.

My Review: 

Georgette Heyer is very very high on my TBR. She is in my Top 10 of about 200 on my Authors To Read in the Soontime. I was so excited to be reading so many of her books this month. I do have to admit that this was one I was least looking forward to.

Bath Tangle focuses on two couples: Serena and Rotherham and Fanny and Hector. Serena did seem a bit flighty at first. I had trouble deciding whether to like her or not. But toward the middle, she gained something and I decided that I loved her. Rotherham was a great hero. He was surly and a bit gruff—just how I like ‘em. He had an amazing contentious relationship with Serena. I don’t always agree with his methods of getting Serena’s attention but their conflicts are always interesting. Fanny and Hector’s story was definitely less wrought with conflict emotional all the same. I didn’t like Fanny as much as I liked Serena. She lacked a bit of that spark that I loved in Serena but I did like her. She was fiercely loyal to Serena. I hated Hector’s name but loved him. He was the best of men and was honorable and a gentleman.

Only Georgette Heyer could have written this type of plot and have it work well for me. This type of plot is not usually my thing but I really liked it in this one. I also loved that there was plenty of Heyer-style humor. I can’t really compare it to the rest of Heyer because most of her books are still on the TBR O’ Doom but I definitely loved this one. I am looking forward to reading more of her books in the near future. I don’t know why I keep putting them off.


Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds really good . Your adoration of Georgette Heyer really makes me want to check out her books! I just finished a book by an author I'm working with. It's also romantic and features a main character who is an orphan and left a ward of someone in an unfortunate circumstance. The book is called (S)Mythology by Jeremy Tarr. It's a modern day fairy tale that is wry and whimsical, and tackles life...death...and the Underworld. The book is super cute and has illustrations by artist Katy Smail, which really bring the main character Sophie to life. Sophie has really fantastical adventures meeting wild characters that make the story so much fun. It's written more like a fairy tale and is really cute. I think you would really love it!

    You can read the first three chapters and check out the illustrations at www.smythology.co.uk. The book is new to paperback and is available here: http://amzn.to/SmythPB.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio