Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Review: The Greatest Love on Earth by Mary Ellen Dennis

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca 
ISBN: 1402249829
Pages:448 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

He's fearless, except when it comes to Calliope Kelley...

Nothing could shake the courage of lion tamer Brian O'Connor, until the circus is threatened and the love of his life deserts him...

Danger, drama, dazzling excitement are her world...

Bold, beautiful Calliope Kelley would jump through flaming hoops to protect her father's circus. But when disaster strikes and Calliope loses everything, she knows she must build brand new dreams...

Torn apart and betrothed to others, a twist of fate brings Brian and Calliope back under the bigtop, where together they'll walk the high-wire to see if great loves turn to ashes or rekindle to burn brightly forever...

My Review: 

I read the Landlord’s Black-eyed Daughter and liked it very much. I was looking forward to this one because I haven’t read anything quite like it before. I also happen to have a love for the circus environment despite of my fear of clowns.

I loved Calliope (despite my unreasonable hatred for her name—if you know me you know why). She was a spitfire and she was strong. She was also self-sufficient in a difficult situation. I did think that if she said the phrase “wondrous fine” once more, I would have thrown the book across the room. I understood the reason for it but it was just one too many times. I find it very rare that I like the heroine but dislike the hero. This was one of the rare ones. Brian was such a shady guy. I wanted to like him because Calliope loved him so much but he was terrible and I hated him. He abandons her, gets engaged to another woman and does a whole mess of bad things and yet the woman still loves him. I would have loved for Calliope to tell Brian where to shove and move on to Bret (aka Jocko the clown). He was the better man.

I stayed up till 5am reading this book. That has to say something for how engrossing this book is.  Even though I did not like the hero, I still couldn’t stop reading. Usually, if either the hero or heroine annoy me or put me in that “I want to strangle them” place, my enjoyment of the book is ruined and I move on to something less obnoxious. You will be on the edge of tears the whole time you are reading but it really is worth the emotional turmoil.   I mean it. You won’t be able to stop until you reach the last page. I also loved the circus atmosphere (in books—not in real life—I hate clowns). It always brings a seedy, somewhat weathered aspect to a book and it definitely did in this one. It added a great ambiance to the book and the story.

As I said before, this book kept me from getting my 6 hours of required sleep. It was that good.


Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio