Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Review: Lord and Lady Spy by Shana Galen

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402259077
Pages:384 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

No man can outsmart him...

Lord Adrian Smythe may appear a perfectly boring gentleman, but he leads a thrilling life as one of England's most preeminent spies, an identity so clandestine even his wife is unaware of it. But he isn't the only one with secrets...

She's been outsmarting him for years...

Now that the Napoleonic wars have come to an end, daring secret agent Lady Sophia Smythe can hardly bear the thought of returning home to her tedious husband. Until she discovers in the dark of night that he's not who she thinks he is after all...

My Review: 

I loved The Making of a Gentleman. It was one of my favorite books from last year. I was looking forward to this one. It had three things I knew I would love (1) Mr. and Mrs. Smith similarities (2) a marriage of convenience and (3) wicked humor. I wasn’t sure how much I was actually going to like the Mr. and Mrs. Smith take in a romance novel but I was excited to read it nonetheless.

Sophia was the epitome of “kick ass heroine.” She was just as strong and capable as any hero I have ever come across. Maybe even more. She was every inch her husband’s equal both as a spy and as a character. I liked Adrian but I would have liked him to be a bit more rakish or dashing. Sweet heroes are not exactly my preference but I liked him just the same. My favorite character was neither of the main characters but the butler, Wallace. Sophia and Adrian could have walked into the room dressed in space suits and he wouldn’t flinch. He reminded me of Niles from The Nanny. He knew everything before it happened (and you can totally tell he’s a big ol’ gossip too).

I loved the action, the romance and the mystery in this book. But my favorite part had to be the humor. I found myself chuckling throughout. I am also not usually a fan of spy storylines but I liked this one. I loved the take on Mr. and Mrs. Smith. It’s one of my favorite movies (the older one not the Brangelina one—I am a Jennifer Aniston fan). I did have one little complaint (and it’s something that really annoys me—I’m probably alone in this), the cover model looks nothing like how Adrian is described. Adrian is blond and the cover model clearly has brown hair. Yes, I do notice these things but other than that Lord and Lady Spy lived up to my (high) expectations.


Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'd really like this, because I adore marriage of convenience stories, and I actually really like sweet heroes. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @fairypenguin

    I think I am one of the only people who like meanish rakes more than nice guys...probably why I am single :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio