Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Review: Sylvester or the Wicked Uncle by Georgette Heyer

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402238800
Pages:400 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

Rank, wealth, and elegance are no match for a young lady who writes novels...

Sylvester, Duke of Salford, has exacting requirements for a bride. Then he meets Phoebe Marlow, a young lady with literary aspirations, and suddenly life becomes very complicated. She meets none of his criteria, and even worse, she has written a novel that is sweeping through the ton and causing all kinds of gossip... and he's the main character!

My Review: 

This was the Heyer I was most looking forward to. I had heard amazing things about this one from my Heyer reading friends. They said that I would love Sylvester almost as much as I fangirl Darcy. I was hoping they were right because I have been getting a bit bored with Darcy lately (I know…blasphemy).

I thought this book was absolutely genius. Our heroine, Phoebe, writes a novel in which our hero, Sylvester is the villain. Perfect. You can’t tell me that if Elizabeth Bennet was an author at the beginning of Pride and Prejudice that Darcy would not have been her villain. He totally would have. Phoebe had all the wit, charm and vivacity of Elizabeth Bennet with the added bonus of a bit of bad behavior. Sylvester was amazing. He was every bit as arrogant and obnoxious as I want to see in a hero. He definitely had the Darcy Complex. And the Darcy Complex is a good thing to have in any novel.

I loved this book with every fiber of my being. I loved the bickering between Sylvester and Phoebe. I am convince no romance is complete without bickering. The banter between them was witty and intelligent and you could sense the underlying attraction.  As always with Georgette Heyer, there was a generous amount of humor and adventure but it really was not necessary with a hero and heroine as amazing as Sylvester and Phoebe.


Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio