Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, September 26, 2011

Review: Tears of Gold by Laurie McBain

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca 
ISBN: 140224245X
Pages:554 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

New York Times bestselling author and Reviewers' Choice Award–winner Laurie McBain has sold more than 11 million copies of her romances around the world with lush, epic storytelling that has made her a favorite among generations of readers.

She has sworn never to love.

To many, she has a perfect life-freedom to travel the world, expensive gifts from wealthy men. But consummate actress though she is, Mara Flynn can never make herself believe the passion is real. One more job. That's all she needs to ensure her family's financial future. And California is just teeming with gold. There, her daring impersonation will fool everyone...except one man.

He has sworn never to forgive.

Mara didn't plan for Nicholas Chantale, though. He has hunted her from the steamy streets of New Orleans all the way to the blinding brilliance of California gold country, only to have his dreams of vengeance crushed when he meets her in the flesh. For though he was sworn to kill her, she was the love he would die for.

My Review: 

I loved Devil’s Desire. Bodice rippers are kind of my favorite type of romances. I think it’s because I used to steal my mother’s 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s romances when I was a kid and it kind of stuck with me.

Mara was one of the best heroines I have come across in a long time. It was easy to sympathize and relate to her. She also happened to be a con-artist but, surprisingly, it was done convincingly and it did not impede my ability to like her.  In the beginning (especially with that heartwrenching scene), I thought I was going to hate her but I ended up loving her. Nicholas was an amazing hero. He was an alpha man but also was quite gentle. I like my brutish heroes but I have been reading so many 70’s and 80’s romance novels packed with brutish heroes. It’s nice too get a break. The chemistry between Nicholas and Mara was off the charts. They also happened to be in near constant conflict—something I love and look for in a good romance.

This was so much more than I expected. I was expecting the average bodice ripper. You know conflict, conflict, drama, bodice ripping. And this one did have that, don’t get me wrong. But it was done in the midst of a really lovely and lush historical setting. I also think the chemistry between Mara and Nicholas was SPECTACULAR. In my humble opinion, older romances have the best chemistry. This is one of the few without any violence from the hero which is kind of rare in this type of romance. The action wasn’t also solely focused on the romance. There was plenty of mystery and action to go around.

I loved this book and Devil’s Desire. I very quickly went out and bought old copies of Laurie McBain’s books. Including copies of this and the other McBains I have reviewed.

 Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio