Search Me!


Friday, September 30, 2011

Review: The Wedding Affair by Leigh Michaels

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca  
ISBN: 1402244215
Pages:384 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency 
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

You're invited to the wedding of the year!

The Duke of Somervale, whose sister's wedding is the event of the ton, is fighting off debutantes and desperately needs help from beautiful, stubborn Olivia Reyne. But she is engrossed with problems engulfing her dearest friends and family. The last thing Olivia needs is to be embroiled with a duke whose dark gaze makes her forget herself entirely...

Discover a new side of a beloved author as Leigh Michaels draws you into the glittering, glitzy world of Regency England and an affair you'll never forget.

My Review:  

This was the first book that I read during the readathon. It was so good. It simultaneously broke me from my previous reading slump and set me off on a roll that I am still in 73 books later.

This book focuses on three couples—as many of Leigh Michaels’ books do—Penelope and Charles, Olivia and Simon and Kate and Andrew. I loved all three couples but I became so engrossed in Penelope and Charles’ story that I had difficulty focusing on anything else.  At first, I was completely into Olivia’s story and really didn’t see the point of Penelope but as the book went on I found myself sucked into her story with Charles. Their story was heartbreaking. One misunderstanding in the beginning of their marriage created a domino effect that threatens to destroy their marriage. It’s terrible to watch and you spend most of the time wanting to bash Charles’ head in. Olivia and Simon and Kate and Andrew were just as interesting but I gravitated more towards Penelope and Charles.

I have read two of Leigh Michaels other books (The Mistress’ House and Just One Season in London) and this one far surpasses those two in just about everything—even though I liked them quite a bit. I initially wasn’t too big of a fan of the three stories in one book type of thing but it was done so well in this one that I couldn’t help but love it. I didn’t mind the jumping around between couple so much because all three couples held my interest equally and the storylines for all three were interesting. I also think Michaels maintained a really great narrative flow with the story in this one.

This was one of my favorite books of the many that I read in September. I would read it again just to experience Charles and Penelope’s story again.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio