Search Me!

Loading...

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Review: Always a Temptress by Eileen Dreyer

imagePublisher: Forever 
ISBN: 0446542059
Pages: 432 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

His greatest battle is just beginning . . .

Captain Harry Lidge has done his duty. After losing too many good men on the battlefield, he's ready to put his responsibilities behind him and live a life free of care. But first he has one last mission: find out what the most outrageous woman in London, the same woman who betrayed him nearly a decade earlier, is concealing, before her secrets take down the crown.

Her heart is the only thing she won't risk . . .

Surrounded by ardent admirers and a few loyal friends, Lady Kate Seaton glides through the ton on a confection of couture gowns and bon mots. No one suspects that beneath her lighthearted fa├žade Kate hides a sorrow so scandalous she'll do anything to keep it hidden. But only when she trusts Harry with the truth and only when he trusts her with his heart can they stop the villains all too willing to kill Kate to attain their ultimate goal: destroy England

My Review: 


I love this series. I loved Barely A Lady but I LOVED Never A Gentleman. It was my reading highlight of the year. I was looking forward to this one because it can only get better, right? It did.

Kate and Harry almost beat Grace and Diccan as my favorite of the three couples. Almost but not quite. I don’t think any couple will replace Grace and Diccan. Kate was one of those heroines that I love—and I’ve loved her since the first book in which she made an appearance. She was fiesty, stubborn and a bit vindictive but there is a world of hurt behind her tough exterior and it is hard not to feel for her. Equally as awesome as Kate is Harry, who we also met in a previous book. At first, I didn’t really like Harry that much. He was just too willing to believe every bad thing said about Kate but he definitely redeemed himself in major ways.

I am still going to hang on to my assertion that Never a Gentleman was the best book in this series but this one was a very close second. I loved the conflict between Kate and Harry. Their conflict belied a very deep connection. Their arguments were rooted in very strong emotions and that’s the kind of conflict I love the most. I also loved that there was plenty of action to balance out the plot. I am always in favor of the addition of espionage and assassins to any plot. It just makes things more interesting. But I do have to admit that it was the romance between Kate and Harry that kept me reading and loving this book.

I will be awaiting the next book in the series (is there going to be one?) or another book by Eileen Dreyer like a rabid fangirl.


Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. Grace--Thank you!! I can't tell you how glad I am that you loved Kate and Harry almost as much as your namesake.I, too, loved Kate the minute she walked onto the page(believe me, if I'm lucky characters surprise me as much as you) and wanted to give her a worthy hero. Then Harry showed up, and I knew he'd do quite well.
    As for more Rakes, why, yes. Grand Central has just asked for at least 2 more, and an e-short story. So I'm hard at work right now on...oh, come on. You must have guessed it. Ian's book. And oh, do I love his heroine. She has a 600 pound pig who is quite the character himself.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio