Search Me!


Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: Don’t Sing at the Table by Adriana Trigiani

Publisher: Harper Paperbacks 
ISBN: 0061958956
Pages: 240 pages
Genre: Non-fiction  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

As devoted readers of Adriana Trigiani’s New York Times bestselling novels know, this “seemingly effortless storyteller” (Boston Globe) frequently draws inspiration from her own family history, in particular from the lives of her two remarkable grandmothers, Lucia Spada Bonicelli (Lucy) and Yolanda Perin Trigiani (Viola). In Don’t Sing at the Table, she reveals how her grandmothers’ simple values have shaped her own life, sharing the experiences, humor, and wisdom of her beloved mentors to delight readers of all ages.

Trigiani visits the past to seek answers to the essential questions that define the challenges women face today at work and at home. Don’t Sing at the Table is a primer, grandmother to granddaughter, filled with everyday wisdom and life lessons handed down with care and built to last.

My Review: 

Adriana Trigiani is one of my favorite authors. I relate to her so much and each of her books brings out a happy memory from my childhood that I have somehow forgotten. I knew I absolutely had to read this book when I saw the title. Don’t sing at the table or something similar is something almost every Italian grandma tells the kids to get them to stop acting up at dinner time. My grandmother always used to tell us, “If you don’t eat in church, you don’t make noise at my table.” It works. My grandmother could say more with a look than she could every say with words.

I loved this book so much because it told the story of her two grandmothers, Lucy and Viola. Both women were so strong and their life stories were so interesting. I also enjoyed reading the lessons and advice they imparted on Adriana. You don’t have to be Italian to find some value in them. Some of it was so familiar to me. The importance of family and imparting wisdom and values is so prevalent and really shines through.

I don't know about most cultures but in the Italian culture our matriarchs run the show. Sure, we respect our fathers and grandfathers but what our mothers and grandmothers say is what we do. They make the rules and we follow them, in lock step like little soldiers. I loved this book perhaps more than I loved any of Adriana’s other books because I enjoyed getting to know her grandmothers. I have to admit to tearing up in certain parts because in reading about Adriana’s grandmothers, I remembered my own and the lessons they taught me.

This is a book that I will keep and reread over and over again. I am also going to buy copies of this to give as gifts because seriously, what gift is better than sage wisdom and a good cry now and then.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I need a copy of this book! My mom's side of the family is Italian and I know I'll totally identify with Adriana's story.

    Thanks for being a part of the tour. I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio