Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Review: Falling For Me by Anna David

imagePublisher: William Morrow Paperbacks  
ISBN: 0061996041
Pages:320 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb


Summary from publisher:

Like most women, whether they’ve chosen the Fortune 500 career path or have had five kids by 35, Anna David wondered if she’d made the right choices. Then she came upon the book Sex and the Single Girl by Helen Gurley Brown, Cosmopolitan’s fearless leader from the mid-sixties to the late nineties. Immediately connecting with Gurley Brown’s unique message of self-empowerment combined with femininity, Anna vowed to use Sex as a lesson plan, venturing out of her comfort zone in the hope of overcoming the fears and insecurities that had haunted her for years. Embarking on a journey both intensely personal and undeniably universal, she becomes adventurous and spontaneous—reviving her wardrobe and apartment, taking French lessons, dashing off to Seville, and whiling nights away with men she never would have considered before. In the process, she ends up meeting the person really worth changing for: herself.

My Review: 


This book hit my life right on the head. I am 26 and single. Yes, that is not quite 30 but I’m getting there and I will probably die alone. I am at the point where I really don’t care because, in my opinion, marriage is like extended babysitting without the pay.

I read this book for the most part while I was dealing with my early bird bout with the flu.  I have to tell you that it was the best distraction I could find. I love books like this. Books where the a character/the author challenges themselves to accomplish something in a given time. In this one, Anna decides to adopt Helen Gurley Brown's 1962 book, Sex and the Single Girl, as the template for her life going forward. The advice in the book is a bit outdated but easily adaptable to the life of the modern woman. I found Anna’s journey and the lessons she learns on that journey to be so inspirational.

I have to admit that I was not expecting much from this book. I was expecting a light read, a distraction. And for the most part, this is what I got. It’s not a heavy book by any means but I identified with it. I can identify with Anna and I definitely know where she’s coming from. It’s not easy being single and watching just about everyone you know get married and start that happily ever after hooey.

Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

2 comments:

  1. Marriage is definitely like baby sitting! Sometimes I think my husband is more trouble than my 11 year old! This sounds like the perfect book for two of my sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time reading when I'm sick, so I'm glad to see that this turned out to be the right book to get you through the flu. I'm glad you identified with it - hopefully you meant that in a good way though! :)

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio