Search Me!


Thursday, October 6, 2011

Review: Flawless by Carrie Lofty

imagePublisher: Pocket Books 
ISBN: 1451616384
Pages: 416 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Victorian  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

Sir William Christie, ruthless tycoon and notorious ladies’ man, is dead. Now his four grown children have gathered for the reading of his will. What lies in store for stepsiblings Vivienne, Alexander, and twins Gareth and Gwyneth? Stunning challenges that will test their fortitude across a royal empire . . . and lead them to the marvelously passionate adventures of their lives.

Lady Vivienne Bancroft fled England for New York, hoping to shed the confines of her arranged marriage to unrepentant rogue Miles Durham, Viscount Bancroft—though she never forgot the fiery desire he unleashed with his slightest touch. And when the gambling man arrives on her doorstep for a little sensual revenge for her desertion, he is met with Vivienne’s dilemma: She must earn her father’s inheritance by profitably running a diamond business worth millions in colonial South Africa. Swept together in an exotic undertaking filled with heated passion and hungry temptation, will Vivienne and Miles discover that the marriage vows they once made are the greatest snare—or the most treasured reward?

My Review: 

There are some book in this world that can draw you in based solely on the awesomeness of their covers. This is one of them. I mean, have you seen that dress? It’s beautiful and the story totally lives up to it.

Viv was a really great character. I loved her. Her backstory was heartbreaking. She was also one of the most intelligent heroines I have ever come across. She is self-sufficient and strong. Miles was initially a bit troublesome for me. He waltzed into the story as a wastrel. He was a gambler and a drunkard in the worst way possible and he didn’t treat Viv very well either. But I was very happy to see him redeem himself in the best way possible.  I would have liked to see more of their backstory. I liked angst and it seems like their backstory is really, really angsty. But it worked well without the background because

This was one of the highlights of my September reading month. I will be saying that many times (okay three at the most) in my upcoming reviews because September was an amazing reading month. This was one of my favorites for many reasons. For one, I love Carrie Lofty’s writing style. Her descriptions were lovely and her prose flowed very well. I also love the setting. For another, I have never read a romance set in South Africa but I liked it (are there more out there?). And finally, the chemistry between Miles and Viv was off the charts. Their interactions were heartwrenching at times but always so honest and raw.

The next books in the Christies series are A Little More Scandal and Starlight. I am looking forward to both of them.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. Sounds awesome! I've never read anything by Carrie Lofty, but I've heard good things. And come to think of it, I don't think I have read any romance set in South Africa, so that's really different. Great review!

  2. I really enjoyed this one as well and one of my favorite things about the book was the unique setting. I must agree that I had a bit of trouble with Miles' character at first but further on into the story I was caught up in the romance between the two. Excellent review!



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio