Search Me!


Friday, October 14, 2011

Review: The Goblin King by Shona Husk

imagePublisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca 
ISBN: 1402259859
Pages:352 pages
Genre: Romance/Paranormal/Goblins  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

Cursed by a Druid millennia ago, Roan lives a bleak existence in the Shadowlands, desperately trying to retain his soul and not succumb to the goblin horde. When a beautiful human summons him to grant a wish, he sees a glimmer of hope. But will she ever agree to be his queen?

My Review: 

I don’t think I have ever encountered a goblin romance before. I have read just about every other type of paranormal romance before. This one was definitely interesting to say the least.

I liked Eliza. She was brave when she had to be but there wasn’t anything really spectacular about her.  That doesn’t mean I didn’t like her because I did but there wasn’t really anything that made her stand out too much for me. She was a normal girl and I think that’s what worked so well for me. Roan, on the other hand, was spectacular. He is the Goblin King and he knows eventually he will become a heartless Goblin of the Hoard. A hero that is in imminent doom is somehow more perfect than one who is not. I think it’s the brave going into battle thing. I would read a million romances with Roan as the hero.

The chemistry between Roan and Eliza was intense. Even though I was not particularly wowed by Eliza as a heroine, I really loved her chemistry with Roan. They played off of each other well. I especially loved that she loved him even in his ugly Gobliness. That’s so sweet! I also loved the Goblins. I didn’t think I would particularly like it but I did. Very much. I’ve never read about goblins before (other than the Gringotts goblins, of course) and I didn’t really see how goblins could work in a romance novel but Husk made it work.

There is also a free prequel, Summons, available for download for free on the Kindle or the Nook.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking of getting this book because the summary reminded me a bit of the Labyrinth, but I've only recently gotten into the romance genre so I was a bit hesitant. Your review has really turned me more towards getting it and I will most likely pick it up during my next book buying spree.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio