Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, October 7, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

imagePublisher: Scholastic Press 
ISBN: 0439023483
Pages: 384 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Dystopian  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

My Review: 


This is the second time I’ve read this book during a readathon. This is the first time I’ve actually remembered to write a review about it when I finished. I was kind of so-so about this the first time but the second time proved to be the ticket because I loved it. I finally got what everyone else was talking about and was completely sucked in to the story.

Katniss was one of those characters that I shouldn’t like because there were definitely aspects of her character that I didn’t like at all. For example, she was a bit oblivious and self-centered. But this girl is the epitome of a kickass heroine. She is a survivor plain and simple. She is able, competent and someone any girl/woman can look up to. I definitely did. She was the rescuer not the damsel and I loved that.

I have to admit when I started this book I was all prepared to ship Katniss and Gale. I was. I always prefer tall and dark over pretty and blond. It turns out I am almost always completely wrong in these situations. I loved Peeta and Katniss. Granted, we only got a chapter or two with Gale playing a major role before Peeta stepped in with his awesomeness. It was hard not to love Peeta, the baker’s son. He was just as brave and strong as Katniss and just as heroic.

I devoured this book in a couple of hours. I loved the action, the adventure and the touch of romance. Highly recommended.


Rating:

*This book has been provided by me for my own personal reading pleasure.  My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way. Any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio