Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Review: Chosen by Chandra Hoffman

imagePublisher: HarperLuxe  
ISBN: 0062002457
Pages: 468 pages
Genre: Fiction  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb


Summary from publisher:

In Chosen, a young caseworker becomes increasingly entangled in the lives of adoptive and birth parents, with devastating results.

It all begins with a fantasy: the caseworker in her "signing paperwork" charcoal suit standing alongside beaming parents cradling their adopted newborn, set against a fluorescent-lit delivery-room backdrop. It's this blissful picture that keeps Chloe Pinter, director of the Chosen Child's domestic-adoption program, happy while juggling the high demands of her boss and the incessant needs of both adoptive and biological parents.

But the very job that offers her refuge from her turbulent personal life and Portland's winter rains soon becomes a battleground involving three very different couples: the Novas, well-off college sweethearts who suffered fertility problems but are now expecting their own baby; the McAdoos, a wealthy husband and desperate wife for whom adoption is a last chance; and Jason and Penny, an impoverished couple who have nothing—except the baby everyone wants. When a child goes missing, dreams dissolve into nightmares, and everyone is forced to examine what he or she really wants and where it all went wrong.

Told from alternating points of view, Chosen reveals the desperate nature of desire across social backgrounds and how far people will go to get the one thing they think will be the answer.

My Review: 

I have to admit that I tend to cringe away from books about babies or pregnancy. I don’t know why. It’s something I have never done and never plan to do so I just skip over it. But this one seemed so interesting that I could not resist.

Chosen focuses on Chloe Pinter, director of Chosen Child’s adoption program, as she deals with three very different couples.  I thought I was very interesting how these couples stories wove together and showed all the different facets of adoption.  I have to admit that I really do not envy Chloe her job.  It seems so demanding and stressful and hectic.  I would be sitting in a corner and talking to a hand puppet.  I don't deal with stress well.

There's so many things I loved about this book.  And let's have deep in detail it went into adoption and the adoption process.  It's so interesting to read about the person behind the adoption.  It's the story you very rarely hear but it's a story I'm very interested in reading about.  I love that the story was told in alternating point of views.  It definitely added another dimension to an already interesting novel. 


Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you gave this one a chance even though the topic isn't one you are usually interested in - it sounds like it turned out to be a great read!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio