Search Me!


Saturday, November 5, 2011

Review and Interview: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

imagePublisher: Harlequin 
ISBN: 0373210361
Pages:361 pages
Genre: Young Adult  
Series: Iron Fey-1,2,3,4 
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

My name- my True Name- is Ashallyn'darkmyr Tallyn. I am the last remaining song of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court.
And I am dead to her.
My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl...
To cold faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing gentler feelings the Winter Prince might have had. Or so he thought.
Then Meghan Chase- a half-human, half-fey slip of a girl- smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer faery can survive,
With the unwelcome company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through its end- a quest to find a way to honor his vow to stand by Meghan's side.
To survive the Iron Realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. And along the way, Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.

My Review: 

I just recently did something that I consider to be a bit of a sacrilege. I read a series out of order. That is usually a strict no no for me when it comes to YA series. I always feel lost and clueless.

I am so glad that I started out with this one. I will not have to decide what “Team” I am on because I am firmly entrenched in Team Ash—and I love spoilers anyway (I seek them out).  There is literally no chance for me to ever be a part of Team Puck. Ever. Puck was a good dude as well but there is nothing like a broody hero and Ash is definitely a broody hero. I really loved his journey to become human so he could be with Meghan. I love how his focus was solely on his need to be with Meghan. I really did love this one because we got to know Ash so well from his own perspective. Most of the time, the reader’s take on the hero is polluted by the heroine’s thought and beliefs. I thought it was really quite brilliant how Julie Kagawa pulled this off.

I have heard so many wonderful things about the Iron Fey series from my fellow bloggers. I am quite surprised that I have not picked up this series before. I do have to say I did myself a disservice. I didn’t know the heroine very well or her story so my take on this book is based solely on Ash and his awesomeness. I was able to jump in and fall in love with this world and these characters with little to no struggle or confusion. That is a huge credit to Julie Kagawa who created a heroine I might not want to strangle, a hero I have a semi-major crush on (he’s close to Fitzwilliam/Gilbert level crushing) and a story that had my attention from page one.

But I must say, that even in my ignorance of the previous books and of the world I was reading about, I loved this book beyond any other YA series I have ever picked up. Yes, I said that. Based solely on the merits of The Iron Knight.  I will be marathon reading the previous books (and this one again) over the weekend and will be providing you with detailed (and probably gushy) reviews as soon as I finish reading—and I will be editing this one. Thank the Good Lord for weekend readathons.

As an addendum, I loved Ash so much that I created a character for him in Sims 3. His name is Ash Broody. He is currently living in a house with my Sim Edward Sullen. He is a cop. He has arrested Edward Sullen 3 times since being created yesterday. Edward Sullen is a pyro-burglar who has a tendency towards science experimentation who has divorced Bella Sullen to marry Eric Porkman. 


*This book has been provided by me for my own personal reading pleasure.  My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way. Any monies made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

Short Interview with Julie Kagawa:

Do you try to incorporate what you learned in your kung-fu classes into your novels?

Lol, actually, I take Kali as well as Kung Fu, which is a Filipino martial art using sticks, swords, and knives.  And yes, it has been tremendously helpful in staging fight scenes.  Totally worth the "badges of courage" I bring home every so often.

Your new series is a post-apocalyptic vampire series. That sounds really different from the Iron Fey series! Did you find it harder to write about vampires than feys?

It was very different.  I think the hardest thing to deal with was the fact that the vampire story takes place in the real (though post-apocalyptic) world, and I have to have things make sense.  I can't just explain things with: "they got there through faery magic," lol.

Had you already started Blood of Eden series before the Iron Fey series, or did the idea come from nowhere and wouldn't disappear?

I'd been toying with a post-apocalyptic world as I was finishing up The Iron Knight, but the idea to add vampires didn't come until my agent and I were discussing ideas for my next series.  She mentioned that HarlequinTEEN was on the lookout for vampire books, and the idea to mesh the two together just sort of clicked.


  1. LOL, Ash Broody and Edward Sullen! Oh, I love it! I'm a huge Sims 3 player, too, so this is doubly awesome. Thanks for the review. :)

  2. Edward Sullen! Ash Broody! lol LOVE the Sims character names...totally fitting! Loved your review...I am now curious how you'll see the previous books having read this first.

  3. Practically every fairytale you can think of is touched on in this story, and some you wish you didn't know. Dreams, nightmares, and the mysteries of the subconscious all float by our heroes as they venture closer to their impossible goal.

  4. The interview is nice, very nice !



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio