Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Review: Fortune’s Son by Emery Lee

imagePublisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca  
ISBN: 1402256442
Pages: 416 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Georgian  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

Love is the ultimate gamble…

Seasoned gambler Philip Drake knows every trick and uses most of them. After years of infamy, he’s ready to accept the mantle of respectability with his earldom— until a devastating racing loss and the threat of debtors’ prison force Philip right back into his gaming ways…

Susannah, Lady Messingham, is a woman with a past who refuses to belong to any man again. But Philip’s skill catches her eye and she persuades him to teach her how to win at the tables. Their new partnership turns into an exhilarating high-stakes game that entangles them in terrifying risk and unimaginable rewards…
Immerse yourself in the risky side of Georgian England with a pair of lovers who aren’t afraid to risk it all on a toss of the dice…


My Review: 
I loved Lee's last book, The Highest Stakes, and I was really looking forward to this one.  Phillip and Sukey were some of my favorite characters from the last book and I've been looking forward to their story.  This one lived up to every one of my expectations and then some.

Susannah was an amazing heroine.  She was so self possessed, feisty and smart.  I love that.  She was also older than Phillip.  She is actually a bit of a puma.  I mean that in the of ways.  You almost never see that.  I also really liked Phillip.  I have a thing for gambler heroes.  It's probably because they have this danger about them.  Or possibly because I'm a bit of a card shark myself.  But either way, I loved him.  He was Susannah's guide into the world of gambling and he was oh so sexy.

I loved so many things about this book.  I loved how gambling and cards were so prevalent in the plot.  I almost expected the gambling to be glossed over or disappear midway through the book.  But it wasn't and it didn't and I was thrilled. The chemistry between Phillip and Susannah was so good.  I thought they worked so well together.  Even though they both did things that frustrated me to no end.  I mean he married another woman for money (and, of course, Susannah became his mistress).  In fact, I almost wish the gambling had played a lesser role because I became so engrossed in the romance.

Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio