Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, November 7, 2011

Review: To Join the Lost by Seth Steinzor

imagePublisher: Antrim House  
ISBN: 0982397070
Pages:216 pages
Genre: Poetry  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

In To Join the Lost, a latter-day rendition of Dante’s Inferno, Seth Steinzor has created a magnum opus presenting contemporary sinners and sins analogous to those in Dante but terrifyingly modern. The book, first in a series of three that will update The Divine Comedy for the 21st Century reader, will be of great interest not only to Dante scholars and students but also to the general public, since its depictions of the Nine Circles of Hell are graphic and offered with all the gusto, indignation, immediacy, and not infrequent humor of Dante’s original. The follies and excesses of the modern world have never been more clearly defined and excoriated.

My Review: 

I love Dante. I wrote my university exit paper on Dante’s The Divine Comedy—focusing on Inferno, of course. Purgatorio and Paradiso bored me. . I’m not a poetry type of person but Dante’s description of Hell has always been one of my favorite things to read. That sounds quite morbid, doesn’t it?

I am very wary of anyone who tries to take Dante’s Inferno and make it new. There are just certain things that should not be touched, in my opinion, and Dante’s Inferno is one of them. This is coming from the girl who has read just about every sequel and adaptation of Jane Austen ever written. However, I really appreciated Steinzor’s take on a modern day version of Dante’s Inferno.

I did like this book. The modern version of Dante’s Inferno is just as interesting as Dante’s version. I thought the writing was great and it kind of had to be to make this even the least bit convincing to me. Perhaps, my favorite part was how Steinzor condemned modern historical figures, like Hitler, Robert F. Kennedy and Bernie Madoff, to torture and degradation in Hell. I don’t agree with the inclusion of R.F.K. or the currently not dead but that’s just me. R.F.K. in my version of the afterlife would definitely be in Purgatory but Madoff, when dead, will definitely be in Hell. C’mon, we all do it. I find myself condemning people all the time. It’s very judgmental but quite cathartic.

Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. For someone who did their university exit paper on Dante's Inferno, I think this is high praise indeed! And I agree completely that condemning people is very cathartic, especially when we see true evil.

    So glad you liked the book! Thanks for being on the tour!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio