Search Me!


Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review: Carrie Goes Off the Map by Phillipa Ashley

imagePublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark 
Pages:384 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

Carrie Brownhill lets her best friend talk her into a scenic European road trip as the perfect getaway from a nasty breakup with her fiancĂ©. Unexpectedly along for the ride is the gorgeous and intriguing Matt Landor, MD, who sorely tests Carrie’s determination to give up men altogether. Careening through the English countryside in a VW camper van, these two mismatched but perfectly attuned lonely hearts find themselves in hot pursuit of adventure and in uncharted territory altogether…

My Review: 

I love love love Phillipa Ashley’s books. She is one of those very rare authors who can do absolutely no wrong for me. Seriously, I love her books. I fangirl her. I’m a bit pathetic.

Carrie had me in stiches most of the time. She was so clumsy and funny. She was realistic in the way that you could easily see her in the supermarket. When she tried to break up her exes wedding, I laughed for a good half hour. I did have a bit of difficulty with Matt in the way that I wanted to punch him a couple of times. Especially with his borderline dismissive treatment of Carrie and his relationship with Natasha. But generally, I like heroes who are a bit (or very) bad. And I love commitment-phobic heroes.

At first, I really didn’t buy the chemistry between Carrie and Matt. I really thought that they would be much better as buddies or friends. But once they got on that road trip, the chemistry just kicked in and became quite magnetic. It did take me a while to buy into them but once I did, it was really worked well. The only one of Phillipa Ashley’s couples that exceed the excellent chemistry shared by Carrie and Matt is, perhaps, Emma and Will from Dating Mr. December.

Phillipa Ashley is always a surefire bet for three things (1) an awesome romance with plenty of angst and chemistry (2) humor that keeps you laughing and (3) character who are easy to love, laugh and identify with. Carrie Goes Off the Map is definitely the perfect example of that. I can’t wait for whatever Phillipa Ashley does next.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. Grace - thanks so much for your review and for 'getting' the slow, but everlasting, burn of Carrie and Matt's romance. :)



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio