Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, December 12, 2011

Review: Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan

imagePublisher: Penguin Group (USA)  
ISBN: 1594203083
Pages: 192 pages
Genre: Non-fiction  
Challenges-100+ Reading Challenge, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

Michael Pollan and Maira Kalman come together to create an enhanced Food Rules for hardcover, now beautifully illustrated and with even more food wisdom.

Michael Pollan's definitive compendium, Food Rules, is here brought to colorful life with the addition of Maira Kalman's beloved illustrations.

This brilliant pairing is rooted in Pollan's and Kalman's shared appreciation for eating's pleasures, and their understanding that eating doesn't have to be so complicated. Written with the clarity, concision, and wit that is Michael Pollan's trademark, this indispensable handbook lays out a set of straightforward, memorable rules for eating wisely. Kalman's paintings remind us that there is delight in learning to eat well.

The hardcover Pollan-Kalman collaboration will be the Food Rules edition that families will pass down for posterity, sharing lessons for eating healthfully-and joyfully-for all their lives.


My Review: 


A generally stay away from health related books.  I don't like people telling me how to eat.  I'm Italian.  I was raised on carbs, meat, fresh vegetables, cheese, wine and, of course, plenty of desserts.  However, this one was borderline perfect.  I mean, it had a chapter called " Eat More Like the French.  Or the Japanese.  Or the Italians.  Or the Greeks." Like I said, borderline perfect.

So much of this book is common sense.  Eat your veggies, don’t eat food that spends more time in a processing plant than it took your car to be built, don’t eat fast food, eat food you prepare yourself. Like I said, common sense. I was expecting this book to be far-fetched, as I am wont to think with most food related or diet books, but there was nothing outlandish in this one. The advice given is the way I have been eating my whole life just a bit more…regimented.

I loved how sensible this book is. There is nothing better than fresh food and eating as healthy as you can. I particularly love that Pollan advises to not eat anything that your great-grandmother (or grandmother) would not be able to identify. I personally use my grandmother, the best Grandma and cook ever,  as a litmus test while shopping. If I can see her getting that “what the hell” look, I put it down. Perhaps my favorite part of the book is the illustrations by Maira Kalman. Her book And the Pursuit of Happiness was one of the most beautifully illustrated books I’ve ever seen and this one was just as amazing. I am definitely a fangirl.


Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. This book is SO sensible and easy to understand - it's amazing that most of us haven't thought of these rules before!

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio