Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Events (January 27th)

Reviews Posted this week:

  1. Dylan by C.H. Admirand
  2. All the Flowers in Shanghai by Duncan Jepson

 

image 

Q: Which book genre do you avoid at all costs and why?

Hmm. I hate to say it but there are many that I avoid like the fricken plague. The list is so big that a corresponding bulleted list is necessary:

  • Political books-especially ones related to conservative politics. It does nothing but make me mad and I don’t want to be mad.
  • Religious books-I am not religious. At all. So there really is no purpose in me reading a religious book other than to put me to sleep.
  • Self Help-I don’t need someone I don’t know telling me what to do with my life. Plus all the hokey language makes me cringe.
  • Celebrity books (both fiction and non-fiction)-If Snookie can “write” a book, anyone can. Nothing good can come of these people writing books and there are few celebrities that I care enough about to read books written by them. Maybe if Jennifer Aniston wrote a book. Maybe. If I was having a slow reading week.
  • Science Fiction-I tried and I hated it. My brain just doesn’t work that way.
  • Fantasy-Same. My ex tried to get me to read LOTR and I had to give up. I felt like a failure for weeks.
  • Tearjerkers for no point other than to be a tearjerker…mainly Nicholas Sparks. I can’t deal with them.

I think that’s it! I’ll probably think of more later.

Please feel free to follow me via RSS or Google+ as well as Email or GFC (in the sidebar).

12 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with most of these! I can read some sci-fi but I'm really picky.
    My Friday hops

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower! I also dislike celebrity books. They are so ridiculous. Every reality star has a book. Looking forward to your reviews!

    www.ohpaperpages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping through. I usually don't read celeb books either. Since I assume they haven't written it. But sometimes I do get curious.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get curious with the Lauren Conrad and Hilary Duff books because they did seem quite good but I've still not read them. I'm planning on it someday but I definitely won't buy them.

      Delete
  4. We pretty much share the same dislikes except I love a good tear jerker now and then

    Thanks for stopping by Book'd Out earlier!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with almost everything on your list, except for Sci Fi and high fantasy. I used to feel the same way about both, but some books really changed my mind.
    New follower.
    Here's our #FF post

    Maja @ The Nocturnal Library

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't stand another tearjerker from Nicholas Spark as well. His characters are always dying and it's just too depressing to read. I also avoid religious and self-help books. Happy Friday!

    New follower,
    Sarah @ Smitten over Books
    #FF post

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got a lot of valid points here that I agree with. Can't stand seeing books out by people like Snookie. There'd be no reason for me to ever pick up a book like that. My roommate is constantly trying to get me to read Nicholas Sparks, but I can't bring myself to do it. I've seen the movies and already cried watching them, I don't want to do it again when reading.

    New Follower!
    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  8. New follower... hoping by to say hello and you do have some good reason for not reading those genres. Love your header.

    ReplyDelete
  9. New Follower . thanks for explaining why the different genres don't work for you . http://totallybookedsolid.blogspot.com/2012/01/follow-friday_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I'm a new follower!!! I can't wait to read more on your blog!!!! :)

    Haha I've never read a self-help book, but I've always wondered how helpful they actually are :)

    http://jbkantt.blogspot.com/2012/01/follow-me-friday-my-first-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Celebrity books always irritated me. It just made me feel they were more egotistical than I originally thought. It's almost like, You love watching me on TV, you love reading about me in magazines, so I know you'll just want to know every little detail about my childhood. Ugh.

    I'm a little split on fantasy though. I tried to read Lord of the Rings way back in middle school (since I loved the movies so much), but I couldn't handle it. It was so dull. All the world building got in the way, and I would forget what was actually going on in the story. These books made me avoid fantasy for the longest time. I will say, I've discovered not all fantasy books are like Lord of the Rings. I mean, Harry Potter was pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio