Search Me!


Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Review: Dreaming of the Wolf by Terry Spear

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Pages:363 pages
Genre: Romance/Paranormal/Shapeshifters 
Series: Heart of the Wolf-1,2,3,4,5,6,7
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

Terry Spear's debut Heart of the Wolf was a Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year. Known for her research into how wolves live in nature, Spear writes her werewolves as they would behave realistically, including pack dynamics, mating behavior, and hierarchies.
Werewolf pack leader Jake Silver is an acclaimed photographer. He sees a beautiful woman at the art gallery where his photos are on display, and his intrigue turns into wolfish protectiveness. Alicia Greiston has never met anyone like Jake-he's sexy, alpha, and totally irresistible, and he calls to something primal in her soul.

My Review:

The Heart of the Wolf series has been one of the staples in my shapeshifter romance collection. I have looked forward to each addition to the series with much anticipation. This one, however, fell a little short of the mark.

This is one of the rare books that I have read that the book starts with the hero's point of view. I found it really refreshing because I am so accustomed to the heroine doing all the talking. I did like Jake. He was the typical protective and strong alpha hero that I have come to expect from my shapeshifters. He was also a bit of a grumpypants which I love in just about everything. I do have to admit that I had a bit of trouble with Alicia. It's not that I couldn't quite believe her to be a bounty hunter because I could but I couldn't quite believe that a competent bounty hunter could act like such a damsel. I don't like it when heroines keep telling us they are so strong instead of showing us.

I did like quite a bit about this book. The dream sharing was quite interesting. It was my favorite part of the book and wish it had been more of a focus instead of the mob storyline. I also thought that Alicia and Jake had a pleasant sort of chemistry. I do think that it was a bit too quick. They met and there was an instant relationship. I never really got to know either character apart from their connection with each other. I also did not like the mob storyline. It added drama which is good but, and this is quite a personal preference, but I really do not like mob plotlines in any novel. It's strange but it's a quibble of mine that I can't seem to break. It also struck me how the bad guys having Italian last names was always brought into it. I know...consider the context...but an Italian last name is not an indicator of a mobster. It definitely took me out of the book every time it was mentioned and it took me awhile to be able to look past it.

I will be looking forward to the next addition to the series even though this one was admittedly not my favorite in the series.  


 *A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio