Search Me!


Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Review: Folly Beach by Dorothea Benton Frank

imagePublisher: William Morrow Paperbacks 
Pages:368 pages
Genre: Fiction  
Challenges-To be updated 
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

Dorothea Benton Frank's latest inviting beach read introduces us to Cate, a mid-life widow whose squandering husband bequeathed her with mountains of debt. Broke and desolate, she returns to the idyllic South Carolina seaside community that gave her many of her happiest childhood memories. Don't forget the sunscreen.

My Review: 

Some people might think it’s strange that this completely northern girl loves southern fiction. But I do. Very much. And I’ve heard some amazing things about Dorothea Benton Frank. I did find, however, that I was a bit disappointed with this one.

First of all, I had a bit of trouble with Cate. Her husband commits suicide and, yes, she learns some very bad things about him but she moves on like he never existed. Like because he was bad, he was never her husband and any grief she would have had otherwise is no longer valid because he was a bad man. I may have been able to look past this if she did not move on with another man almost immediately. But she did and I became even more confused and frustrated. I also didn’t buy that she was an immediate success with her play with no writing experience whatsoever.

There were some parts of this book that I really liked. I loved the way Dorothy and Dubose Heyward’s story was woven into the plot. It was done in an interesting way and added a great layer to the plot. I also loved the setting. Folly Beach is one of my favorite setting for books. It’s usually an omen for good things but, for some reason, not with this one. My main trouble was with Cate. I just couldn’t like her. Trust me, I tried but I could never make a connection to her. I could never understand her. She never tried to understand her own issues beyond the fact that her husband was a bad man. Like everything wrong was caused by her husband’s badness.

This book was admittedly not for me but other readers of Women’s or Southern ficion might find it more enjoyable than I did.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. "Like because he was bad, he was never her husband and any grief she would have had otherwise is no longer valid because he was a bad man."

    That's such an interesting statement! It rings true to me and makes me wonder if others have felt something similar. Just because someone was a bad person doesn't mean someone else isn't out there mourning them. And it seems like the mourning process would take longer (or maybe it would be shortened?) because you'd be dealing with anger at who the person really was.

    Thanks for being on the tour!

  2. I'm sorry this one wasn't a favorite for you. Hopefully your next read will be a better fit.

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio