Search Me!


Thursday, January 12, 2012

Review: Night Swim by Jessica Keener

imagePublisher: The Fiction Studio  
Pages:284 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary  
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:
Sixteen-year-old Sarah Kunitz lives in a posh, suburban world of 1970 Boston. From the outside, her parents’ lifestyle appears enviable – a world defined by cocktail parties, expensive cars, and live-in maids to care for their children – but inside their five-bedroom house, all is not well for the Kunitz family. Coming home from school, Sarah finds her well-dressed, pill-popping mother lying disheveled on their living room couch. At night, to escape their parents’ arguments, Sarah and her oldest brother, Peter, find solace in music, while her two younger brothers retreat to their rooms and imaginary lives. Any vestige of decorum and stability drains away when their mother dies in a car crash one terrible winter day. Soon after, their father, a self-absorbed, bombastic professor begins an affair with a younger colleague. Sarah, aggrieved, dives into two summer romances that lead to unforeseen consequences. In a story that will make you laugh and cry, Night Swim shows how a family, bound by heartache, learns to love again.

My Review: 
I have been reading mostly romance lately so it was nice to get a break with this one. This is easily one of the reading highlights of the new year.

It is not often that I come across a protagonist that is so amazing I can find so few flaws with as to render me speechless. Sarah was one of the rare ones. I loved her. I read this one while I was watching Shameless (the best show on TV) and couldn’t help but make mental comparisons of Sarah to Fiona. Both are such strong characters in such crazy families but there was a quiet strength about Sarah that set her apart.

I loved just about everything about this book. The language was beautiful. It was lyrical and flowed so well. Keener captured the painful story of the Kunitz family so well while not being over dramatic. It was painful but it was real and I really loved that. It’s not often that I admit to this…but I did tear up during this book. I did. It was that good. Sarah’s story and the story of her family is so heartbreaking that it is difficult not to have some emotional reaction to it. Also, that cover is gorgeous.
Overall, this one was near perfection…and I very rarely say that. This is an author I will be following.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. From Jessica Keener: Thank you so much!

  2. What a great way to start off the new year, with a great read!

    Thanks for being a part of the tour. I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio