Search Me!


Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Review: Scrumptious by Amanda Usen

imagePublisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca  
Pages:368 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary  
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:
Sparks between love 'em and leave 'em pastry chef and poker sharp Marlene Bennet and traveling chef-for-hire Joe Rafferty when the two culinary perfectionists are forced to share a kitchen. But several suspicious accidents at the restaurant convince Marlene and Joe to work together to uncover the saboteur. Maybe a little intrigue and high-stakes poker will be the perfect ingredients for these commitment-phobic foodies to whip up a happily ever after.

My Review: 

I’m a huge foodie. I love food and I love cooking. I am immediately attracted to books about food, chefs or even ones with food on the cover. This one immediately appealed to me because of the equally yummy man and cupcakes on the cover. Based on those lofty expectations of foodie greatness, Scrumptious was definitely equat to the task.

I loved Marly for some reason. I identified with her. She was easy to like. I also NEED her recipe for crème brule—mine needs some help. Joe was a bit difficult for me. Not in the “I hated him” way but in the “I often wanted to hit him” way. He spent most of the book basically bad-mouthing Marly—calling her everything from a slut to easy. I spent the other half of the book wanting to smush his cheeks. I always did have a weakness for mama’s boys.

I loved the chemistry between Joe and Marly. I did very much. It was intense but it was not easy and I liked that. But every time Joe used Marly’s reputation as a crutch and excuse not to enter into a relationship with her I wanted to hit him with something heavy and metal. I also did not like the bit of mob at the end--but I never like books with mobsters in them. I was irrationally afraid of mob movies until high school (the horse head scene in The Godfather--something no 4 year old should see). But I do have to say that Amanda Usen turned it into something that not only made me like the book more but made me squee and giggle like a schoolgirl. Who wouldn’t want to read about a 70 year old grandma sitting on the lap of a big bad mafioso who also happens to be her long lost love? Plain old adorable.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio