Search Me!


Friday, February 24, 2012

Review: Chasing Clovers by Kat Flannery

Chasing CloversPublisher: Imajin Books   
Pages:176 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Western  
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

Mail order bride, Livy Green, is desperate to escape the memories of her past. John Taylor will never love another woman again, but his children need a mother. Will they learn to trust each other, or will their pasts interfere?
Longing to escape the awful memories and the saloon she once sang in, Livy Green lies about her past so she can be a wife to John Taylor and mother to his two young children. Overwhelmed by the task, she struggles to put her resentment aside and love them as her own.
John loved his first wife and is still heartbroken over the loss, but he needs a mother for his children. When his distant and unfriendly mail order bride arrives, he begins to doubt his decision, though one glance into Livy's terrified green eyes tells him he can’t turn his back on her.
As Livy's past catches up with her and suspicious accidents begin to happen on the ranch, she is tempted to come clean and tell John the truth. But will he send her back if she does? Or will they forever be CHASING CLOVERS?

My Review: 

There are very few times when I can pick up my Nook and be completely engrossed in a novel. This was one of them. I loved every single sentence in this book. It is a keeper in a big damn way.

I have grown up loving one romance plot above all others (aside from my unashamed love of dirty, nasty, cheating rakes in my beloved bodice rippers) and that is the mail-order bride plot. It always brings so much tension, angst and, of course, some of the best schmoopy sweet moments ever. This one was no different. Olivia was a heroine of the best sort. She was smart, kind and yet flawed and looking for redemption. She was the type of heroine you like immediately and feel sort of protective of throughout. John, poor thing, he was doing his best and I felt so bad for him because he was so heartbroken. I loved watching these two characters grow together and ultimately, heal each other.

This one reminds me of one of my favorite western historical romance writers out there—Jodi Thomas. Only Jodi Thomas could pull the mail-order bride plot off nearly as well. I loved so much of this book. The writing was excellent (I wish I had a print copy to keep on my shelf—it’s on the to buy list). I loved the setting—Canada not your typical. The progression of their relationship was also really fun to watch. It started out soo awkward but ended so perfectly. This is a definite must read. 


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio