Search Me!


Monday, February 6, 2012

Review: Compulsively Mr. Darcy by Nina Benneton

imagePublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark  
Pages:352 pages
Genre: Jane Austen Adaptation/Pride and Prejudice  
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

For anyone obsessed with Pride & Prejudice, it's Darcy and Elizabeth like you've never see them before

This modern take introduces us to the wealthy philanthropist Fitzwilliam Darcy, a handsome and brooding bachelor who yearns for love but doubts any woman could handle his obsessive tendencies. Meanwhile, Dr. Elizabeth Bennet has her own intimacy issues that ensure her terrible luck with men.

When the two meet up in the emergency room after Darcy's best friend, Charles Bingley, gets into an accident, Elizabeth thinks the two men are a couple. As Darcy and Elizabeth unravel their misconceptions about each other, they have to decide just how far they're willing to go to accept each other's quirky ways...

My Review: 

I love, love, love Jane Austen adaptations. Especially ones that take me out of my Austen comfort zone. This one was definitely very far from my comfort zone. And I absolutely loved every minute of it.

Elizabeth was just plain awesome. She was intelligent, self-motivated and just about every other word that can adequately describe the awesome that is Elizabeth Bennet. She is also very presumptuous…she assumes Darcy and Bingley are a homosexual couple looking to adopt and that Darcy is poor and unemployed. Watching her overcome her presumptions was quite fun. I absolutely loved OCD Darcy. There was something so vulnerable about him. I am used to Darcy being all imposing and starchy but seeing him as a modern, sensitive man was quite refreshing.

I am usually very easygoing with my Pride and Prejudice adaptations. Any permutation of the same plot would do. But do happen to be very attached to the English setting. I was completely surprised that a setting that was so different from my usual could be so very appealing and work so well for me. I really loved everything about this book. Lizzy and Darcy were so squishy sweet and I found myself chuckling at their adorableness at times.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I love Pride and Prejudice adaptations which I've only recently discovered. This one sounds awesome. I've never read one outside of the "normal" setting. Thanks for the review!



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio