Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, February 13, 2012

Review: The Legacy of Eden by Nelle Davy

imagePublisher: MIRA Books   
ISBN:0778329550 
Pages:400 pages
Genre: Fiction/Chick Lit  
Challenges-TK
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb


Summary from publisher:

For generations, Aurelia was the crowning glory of more than three thousand acres of Iowa farmland and golden cornfields. The estate was a monument to matriarch Lavinia Hathaway's dream to elevate the family name - no matter what relative or stranger she had to destroy in the process. It was a desperation that wrought the downfall of the Hathaways - and the once prosperous farm.

Now the last inhabitant of the decaying old home has died - alone. None of the surviving members of the Hathaway family want anything to do with the farm, the land, or the memories.

Especially Meredith Pincetti. Now living in New York City, for seventeen years Lavinia's youngest grandchild has tried to forget everything about her family and her past. But with the receipt of a pleading letter, Meredith is again thrust into conflict with the legacy that destroyed her family's once-great name. Back at Aurelia, Meredith must confront the rise and fall of the Hathaway family... and her own part in their mottled history.

"Our farm was like the world when people still thought it was flat. And when you left it, it was as if you had simply sailed too far and fallen off the surface into the void."


My Review: 

I apologize for this review being late. I woke up with a migraine and my intentions to type this out and post early this morning went haywire. Be warned that I am writing this with the remnants of the migraine so I might be a bit incoherent.

First of all, I am not one to harp on a cover. But can you please just look at that one? It’s gorgeous. My copy did not have that cover and for that I am sad. The contrast of the blue of the stormy sky with the golden color of the cornfield is so beautiful and the perfect reflection of what the book is about.

Meredith was one of those characters that I just had no idea what to do with. I did like her quite a bit. I can identify with her need to get away from and forget about everything that had identified her before. I just didn’t like how she went about it. She just simply cut ties to her family and was quite cold when she was forced to confront her family and her past. I was not able to make any sort of connection to her even though I really wanted to.

I loved so much about this book. It was a strange combination of Gone With the Wind, The Grapes of Wrath and Rebecca but it totally worked in its own way..  I, for one, like reading about crazy families. I can identify with a lot of it. The Hathaways were definitely a crazy family and I could read a series of books just about their various dramas. The Hathaways were the only reason I kept reading. They were interesting enough to carry my interest throughout the whole book despite my dislike of Meredith. It was like a TV show where you dislike the protagonist but the supporting cast is enough to keep your interest.

Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I have tagged you! Here's the link:
    http://b00kr3vi3ws.blogspot.in/2012/02/have-been-tagged-by-book-prowl-happy.html

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio